This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Long road trips can be a hassle, but with a couple simple tricks, you can make it seem way shorter than it is.

Take a Nap

Unless you get car sick, catching some z’s is a great way to gain some energy as well as pass the time. To ensure this is possible, make sure you don’t wear anything uncomfortable (especially since you’re going to be in the car for so long) and that you slip off those shoes. You’ll also want to bring a pillow, blanket, and headphones for optimum quiet sleep. If you’re tired but can’t sleep, take some sleeping medicine like Melatonin, a natural chemical your body makes.

Play a Game

Playing a road trip game, as long as you aren’t distracting the driver, is a great way to have some fun and enjoy the scenery as you pass by. Some ideas include (but aren’t limited to):

• Eye Spy
  • The Name Game
  • Alphabetical Categories
  • The Alphabet Game
  • 21 Questions
  • While You Were Sleeping

For the instructions to the games listed above or some more game suggestions check out this website.

Watch a Movie

Some cars have built in movie players, but if your car doesn’t, you can also use your laptop or tablet. There are plenty of websites where you can purchase a movie to watch and some DVD’s even come with the ability to digitally download it. If you have unlimited data, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime are always a great choice.

Plan It Out

Before the road trip starts, make sure you have some form of GPS to make sure you can get where you’re going as quick as possible. Also, let the passenger know before the trip that it’s their duty to help find quicker routes if you run into traffic. Make sure you have the charger to your phone or GPS so that you don’t get stuck.

Bring Snacks and Drinks

Make sure that you’re well stocked with snacks and drinks so that you don’t have to stop earlier than planned for someone that didn’t eat breakfast. However, don’t drink too much and try not to eat anything that won’t sit right later if you know what I mean.

Have a Playlist

A key element of road trips is having a fire playlist, but it has to be saved for when everyone is awake and ready to jam. This is usually best when everyone gets in the car or after lunch. Create a Spotify playlist and have everyone add songs to it or add a variety of popular songs and old jams.

Devon is a marketing major with a minor in communications at Clemson University. She's from Anderson, South Carolina. A southern gal deep in her roots, she can't live without sweet tea. She DIY's everything (even if it's not necessary) and loves to be creative. She loves adventures, hanging with friends, and all kinds of animals. Devon is never afraid to share her opinion or dance when everyone's watching. Feel free to follow her on instagram @devon_finley
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.