Clemson Housing: Where Should I Live?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Alright ladies, it’s that time of year again… Time to go apartment shopping! I know it’s exhausting and sometimes pretty stressful to think about, especially for you freshman out there who don’t know too much about what comes next. Lucky for you, HerCampus is here to simplify at least one aspect of the decision: the social aspect! While this is by no means a comprehensive list, these are the most common forms of Clemson living and more importantly, the party scene at each!

ON CAMPUS:

On campus living is particularly relative for you rising sophomores who are new to the idea of apartment shopping. While off campus definitely has its advantages, sometimes the convenience of being able to walk around campus overrules any other factor. Especially when it’s nice weather and you can just stroll over to Bowman and lie on the grass to do your homework (as if any homework really every gets done) or during football season when you don’t have to worry about traffic to get to the stadium and the tailgates. It’s simple: being on campus keeps you connected to #tigernation in a way that off campus living never will be able to.

Dormlife:
Yes, we’ve all been there. It’s a great experience, getting to know our hall mates, and the excitement of finally being out on our own and out of our parents house. It’s almost a rite of passage that all of us have to go through and many of us look back on it as some of our fondest times at Clemson. Living on campus as an upperclassman is a fun way to hold onto your favorite freshman year memories (and trust me the older you get, the more you are going to want to hold onto that year as long as you can!) On the other hand, let’s be real. We’re over the whole hall bathroom thing, and the space (not to mention the closet) was getting a little cramped…

Stadium Suites:
Even though Stadium Suites is technically apartment style, it’s still a dorm, and you still have to deal with RA’s. Which isn’t too big of a deal… if you’re over 21. If not, you can still get written up for underage drinking! Needless to say, the parties are relatively limited. That being said, everyone I know that lives there only has positive things to say about it!

The Quad:
This part goes out to all of the fellow Greeks out there (the rest of you bear with me please!) The Quad is pretty much like the rest of dorm life on campus except that you get your own kitchen. But again, you have an RA (even if it is usually a member of your chapter) and campus police patrol it like every other dorm. While of course living on the hall is a bonding experience for your member class, (who wouldn’t want to live with 20 or so of your best friends?) you also get the added pressure that if you get caught drinking on the hall, you aren’t the only one who has to face the consequences. Your entire chapter could get in trouble as well, so you have to be extra careful!

On Campus Apartments:

Calhoun Courts/ Thornhill/ Lightsey:
Living in an off campus apartment, you often get the best of both worlds! You get your own space while also having the convenience of being within walking distance of everything. However, what you don’t get are the added amenities that most off campus complexes get such as a conveniently placed gym and a pool. That being said, since it’s on campus, it’s a lot easier for campus police to bust parties in full swing. You also still have an RA, but my sources tell me that they aren’t as strict as most dorm RAs are. Also, if there are any damages, you still have to worry about charges from the University, which can be a lot stricter than most apartment complexes (how annoying.) Finally, if you’re caught underage drinking, you can still get written up by housing whereas you are a lot less likely to get caught drinking in your own apartment off campus.

Daniel Square/ University Ridge:
Even though these two aren’t technically on campus, and therefore University owned, they’re so close they might as well be on campus! You still have to worry a little bit about campus police because of the proximity, but you don’t have to worry about any other University complications. Plus they’re within walking distance of downtown, so if you aren’t feeling the house parties, you can always go bar
hopping!

The Library:
Okay, obviously I’m kidding… well kind of. No matter where we pay rent, its useless to pretend we won’t be spending plenty of time here, even if it is to socialize more than to get any work done!

OFF CAMPUS:

Yes, having your first apartment can be really exciting. No feeling can compare to the initial independence and freedom! However, sometimes the commute can get a little trying, particularly on game days when the CAT bus isn’t so reliable. Not to mention, each complex has a different scene, so it can be hard to choose between all of them!

– Chimney (or Chimney Ridge):
Obviously, the biggest up side to Chimney is the fact that a lot of the football players live and party
there. You can’t tell me that you wouldn’t mildly freak out if you casually ran into Sammy or Tajh next to the keg… While Chimney is also a bit of a longer commute, I’d say it’s worth it, especially when you consider the pool parties. They’re always packed and a recipe for a good time. Another convenient bonus is that it’s gated and cops are not allowed inside unless they’ve been specifically called for a noise complaint or emergency.

Crawford (or Crawford Falls):
The convenience of Crawford’s proximity to campus is the first thing that sets it apart from the others. It’s definitely the easiest to catch the CAT bus from, and there are always pregames if not full-fledged parties going on there. They also have a really nice pool, which comes in handy during the warmer months and there are always Friday afternoon/ weekend parties going on then. And who doesn’t love a good day rage especially when we’ve been cooped up all winter and the weather starts to warm up?

Berkeley (or The Point at Berkeley):
Personally, I live in Berkeley and I love it! While there is always something going on during the weekends, it’s moderately quiet during the week (compared to a lot of the others), which comes in pretty handy when you actually need to get sleep. However, if for instance you want to get to a party in say UV, and you happen to be notoriously CAT bus challenged like my roommates and I are, it gets a little complicated to get around to different parties.

The Reserve/ UV (or University Village):
I’ve grouped these two together because they back right up to each other, so it’s really easy to walk from party to party between the two. Both are really big complexes (especially UV) so there’s ALWAYS something going on. In addition to that, the Reserve has not just one, but two pools, which are always bumpin’ when the weather is nice! The only downside is that they’re a little far away from campus, which for some of us makes the commute a little frustrating.

The Woodlands/ The Retreat (or Retreat of Clemson):
I’ve grouped these two together mostly because they’re both considered “luxury student living” and are perfect for throwing house parties due to their sizes and locations. Plus, they’re both known for their amazing pools/pool parties.

Tillman Place:
Tillman Place may not be as new or as flashy as some of the others in this article, but it’s also within walking distance of campus if you really needed to get there. When you consider that you can easily
walk to the stadium (and more importantly of course) the tailgates on game day, it definitely puts it in the running of the most popular off campus apartments.

Highpointe (or Highpointe of Clemson):
Highpointe may be the living area for the Bridge students; but those aren’t the only people who live there. It may be a little far, but since there’s a more diverse group living there, you get the opportunity to meet a lot more people. There’s also a lot of room in each apartment, which is perfect for throwing ragers. Not to mention, who doesn’t want a lazy river at their disposal?

Downtown apartments/houses:
This is the final type of living for Clemson students, and it’s usually perfect for juniors and seniors. This of course is because by this time, you’re sick of dorm parties, house parties, and frat parties alike and you’ve finally turned 21. The various living options around downtown are perfect because you can walk to the bars without having to worry about any DD, driver, cab, or bus. It’s the final traditional step on the journey to graduation and your Clemson experience won’t be complete without it!

Sources:
http://www.clemson.edu/newsroom/articles/2007/february/leed.php5
http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/pickens-county/clemson-library.html
http://www.homefinder.com/SC/Seneca/63026053d_1822_Muscovy_Way_Highpointe_Of_Clemson

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!