This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Sometimes, when starting a new adventure (going to college, for example), you can feel pressure to compromise and change who you are for other people. Not that change isn’t good, however, changing your core values to appease other people is not always the best choice.

For instance, if you firmly believe in not doing drugs and your peers try to convince you to do drugs and make fun of you for not doing them, it wouldn’t be in your best interest to compromise yourself just so they will like you. Believe me, I’m 20 years old and have become very comfortable telling people where they can put their opinions of me when it comes to compromising myself for their amusement. Sometimes that pressure can be a bit overwhelming along with all the other new and exciting experiences that come with being in college.

The thing to remember is that everyone was not born to be the same, and that is okay! If you have peers that don’t necessarily do or believe in the same things you do or believe in, don’t judge them. You certainly don’t want to become “that person.” You know, that one person who feels like because people aren’t doing as well as them, they have no value, whatsoever. Instead, try to understand different values, opinions, and actions. If you find that the values, opinions, and actions of your peers do not match yours, love them for who they are and continue to be you! There is only one you and you shouldn’t ever let anyone convince you that who you are isn’t good enough or worthy enough. Continue to grow as an individual but have peace about your growth and don’t rush the process. Take your time, enjoy life, and be unapologetically YOU!

I am the type of person that will laugh in the middle of a silent room because of something that happened days ago!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19