5 Things to Do to Feel Instantly More Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

With the beginning of the semester off to a great start (hello national championship!), I find it important to keep the momentum going and to set into a daily routine. Organization is key to manage your time and to ensure that you allow yourself free time. Here are 5 things that you can do TODAY to instantly feel more organized:

1. Drink Your Coffee or Tea Out of a Mug

This is one of my favorite stress relievers. There is something simple and special about sipping a hot beverage out of a mug that I find relaxing. It helps center oneself, and it honestly sharpens the mind to dive into the next task at hand. Ideally, I like to start my mornings with a mug of coffee and end my evenings with a cup of tea. I find that I can slow down and enjoy myself more if I’m not rushing to class with my to-go cup. It also keeps me more alert during the entire day.  

2. Write Out a To-Do List

I’m obsessed with to-do lists. My daily list reminds me of what needs to get down, and it helps organize schoolwork, my sorority, clubs, and college life. I write notes to do laundry, reply to emails, and bring important papers to class. By keeping my to-do list in my planner, I’m assured that I will have it with me at all times.

3. Empty Out Your Backpack

I like to do this every night before I go to bed. Remember in elementary school when your mom or dad would make you pack your backpack for the next day? Yep, this is the same thing! I accumulate so much stuff and trash in my backpack throughout the day that I need to take 3 minutes to clean it out. By emptying out your bag, you distress from a hectic and stressful day.

4. Take Out the Trash

I’m guilty of letting my trashcan overflow to the point of trash tumbling out. Taking out the trash instantly makes your room that much cleaner. With some of the clutter gone, you can begin to focus on what really matters, and it can help you feel more organized.

5. Answer Those Emails

I know that I feel irritated and overwhelmed when I let my emails pile up. Now, I make sure that I don’t obsess over checking every email at the exact time it enters my inbox. However, every day I try to make it a point to sit down and sift through my emails. I delete the promotions I know I don’t need, write down the important dates to be aware of, and respond to emails that need to be addressed. It’s a good habit to get into especially in college when deadlines are stressed and sometimes you can’t afford to miss deadlines.

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19