Julia Louis-Dreyfus Diagnosed with Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With everything going on in the world right now, it feels like tragedies are piling up and it’s honestly becoming hard to keep up with it all. About a week ago, Julia Louis Dreyfus announced that she’s battling breast cancer. Although her diagnosis is not necessarily comparable to news coverage of the hurricanes and the Las Vegas shooting, it’s still important for us to shed light on what she has to say about it, and what you can do personally.

Dreyfus took to Twitter to share the bad news, but the way she approached it is inspirational. Rather than looking at it as only a personal matter, she says that she is battling an even larger fight against all cancers. In a situation like this it can be easy to retreat and accept the possible unfortunate outcome, but Dreyfus is taking an alternative approach and going into her battle with a positive mindset. With October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, we felt that it was more than fitting to write about this and share with you all the facts you need to know:

Facts About Breast Cancer

• It can be genetic, and there are tests that can reveal whether you have the genetic mutation that would put you at a higher risk
  • 1 in 8 women will be affected, meaning that most of us probably know someone who has battled breast cancer
  • The leading risk factor is being female, although males are affected by it too
  • Breast cancers remains the second-leading cause of cancer death after lung cancer
  • Obesity can almost double the risk of developing it
  • Younger women who smoke have a higher risk of developing breast cancer than young women who don’t smoke

Early Warning Signs

• Lumps that appear and don’t disappear after your next period
  • Changes in shape of the nipple
  • Swelling, skin irritation or itching of the breast
  • Sharp or dull pain

Reducing Your Risk, according the Mayo Clinic’s website

• Limit alcohol
  • Don’t smoke
  • Control your weight
  • Be physically active

What You Can Do to Support

• Donate: According to Charity Navigator, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation are the best research charities to donate to
  • Talk about it: Making your friends and family more aware of the severity of breast cancer and the warning signs is the best way to spread awareness for it

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!