Ivanka Trump’s Thanksgiving Faux Pas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Ivanka Trump’s team, Ivanka Trump HQ, promoted on Twitter last Thursday Thanksgiving decorations. And it didn’t go exactly as planned.

Trump, the daughter of the President of the United States and businesswoman, owns a lifestyle brand.

“Have no idea how to decorate your Thanksgiving table?” the tweet stated. “Problem solved.”

The linked article features ideas from interior designer Allison Domonoske. Trump’s, IvankaTrump.com, called it “beautiful, bold, and unexpected.”

And it’s definitely unexpected to say the least.

The centerpiece Domonoske came up with was a huge clam shell filled with moss, pumpkins, pine cones, and driftwood.

While Domonoske may like the natural-from-nature look, lots of people don’t see it the same way.

Source

“Fill a giant clam with garbage from the woods you are the garbage god now,” @kibblesmith tweeted.

Lots of Twitter users took to the social media platform to joke about Domonoske’s decoration.

“It’s Thanksgiving kids, get the clam out of storage,” @LizardRumsfeld tweeted.

The article ends by advising readers to “aim for affordable,” suggesting for us to “mix an expensive brand like Astier [for dishes] with a more budget-friendly one like Vietri or Target.”

However, the centerpiece is unrealistically priced for many.

“The centerpiece cost more than most peoples’ whole Thanksgiving dinner,” @thediannerose tweeted.

It was noted by several that the pumpkins are white, possibly a link to President Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant choices. Domonoske said she found the pumpkins “in Nashville and thought they were unique-looking,” according to Trump’s website.

Source

@IvankaTrumpHQ has faced Twitter drama before.

Trump’s HQ Twitter account has promoted other “simple” tips and tricks before.

“Strapped for cash around the holidays?” a Tweet from November 14 said. “Follow these simple tips to stay on budget.”

This too faced the wrath of Twitter users.

“This is deeply offensive,” Twitter handle @ReagansAwake posted. “We don’t need advice from a spoiled rich girl.”

Some gift ideas Trump suggests in her “Gifts That Say Something Special” article include a $79 ruffled cold-shoulder button-down shirt and necklaces ranging from $28 to $178.

And it’s not just the Ivanka Trump HQ Twitter that has been found unfavorable for its tweets. Trump’s own Twitter account has faced rage in the past as well.

On September 19, she tweeted, “Cuddling my little nephew Luke…the best part of an otherwise incredible day!”

Chrissy Teigen, a model who is also known for her funny Twitter account, responded.

“‘Otherwise’ implies you did not like hangin with this baby,” Teigen corrected.

Teigen was blocked by President Trump in July.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!