Every Day is Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Yesterday was earth day, but I am a firm believer that we can’t afford for every day not to be earth day. The environment and global climate change are two topics of particular importance on many campuses. Clark has taken initiative to address concerns of the Clark community beginning with the Climate Change Teach-In a few weeks ago. This year I decided to attend and learned a great deal about how we can work to create changes on campus and in our everyday lives. Ever since the teach-in, I have been trying to create space in my life to really consider the full impact of climate change and how I can make a difference. I have come to the conclusion that I can’t let my feelings of being overwhelmed allow for a sense of apathy and inaction.

I am currently taking a graphic design course where we were assigned to make a poster on a social issue of our choosing. This spirit of action inspired me to choose the topic of marine pollution. With a little bit of research I learned that much of the plastic that is produced in the U.S. ends up in our oceans. I also learned about the devastating impact of marine pollution on marine life.

The fine print on the poster states: 10% of the plastic produced every year worldwide winds up in the ocean. Marine wildlife often mistake plastic bags for food, especially sea turtles hunting jellyfish. Do your part to help keep our oceans clean by cutting back on plastic use, recycling & bringing re-usable bags to the store.

It’s hard to take a step back from our consumer society but how do we propose that we will actually make a difference?

Here’s some ideas:

1.      Bring re-usable bags:

I know it’s easy to forget to bring them to the store but really making an effort not to use plastic bags can make a difference.

2.      Stop Using Straws:

I get that they are convenient but and they often come in drinks at restaurants but maybe next time request that they don’t bring you one.

3.      Do things digitally:

If you don’t have to print that 30 page reading for class, don’t!

4.      Car-pool:

Sharing a ride with a friend can cut back on carbon emissions and on gas money.

5.      Cut back on single use plastics:

Think about what you buy and what kind of packaging it comes in and look for ways to cut back on the many single use plastics that we consume.

I think we can all aspire to create less waste and work to counter act some of the damage that has already been done.

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team.