9 Must-Have Fashion Staples For Fall & Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The weather is getting colder and if you haven’t already done so, it’s officially time to retire your summer clothes that you love so dearly because they remind you of when you used to actually be tan. During the Summer you didn’t really get to show off your style considering your day-to-day outfits consisted mainly of rompers, swimsuits, and high-waisted shorts, but Fall and Winter are the perfect times to bring out that new jacket and those riding boots you’ve been dying to wear. If you’re like me and you’re living on the East Coast, it’s going to get really cold really fast so make sure you’re not sacrificing warmth for style. Here are my top Fall fashion staples that you can easily transition into Winter staples with the help of layering and long sleeves.

1. Oversized Sweater

Dads aren’t the only ones who can rock an XXL sweater. If I had to pick a favorite out of all my Fall & Winter staples, it would be an oversized sweater. They’re more of a necessity than just a fashion staple. Master the oversized-sweater look with some inspo from supermodel Gigi Hadid, who kills it with some copper flash sunglasses, a layered denim shirt and ankle booties. Wear this sweater on any fall or winter occasion, from a day of shopping to a day packed with classes.

Disclaimer: be wary of sizing! Yes, oversized is in right now, but no one looks good drowning in a sweater 3 sizes too big.

2. Over-the-Knee Boots

Boots are to Fall as chips are to salsa. Nothing completes a cold weather outfit better than a pair of suede or leather boots. These go with anything from jeans and a sweater, to a dress, to leggings and a sweatshirt. In order to ensure that you get the right ones that will for sure be your go-to boots, get them in a neutral shade like brown or black and make sure you get a pair that’s comfy enough to wear on those long walks to class. You can even wear these out on the weekends if you pair them with a simple pair of jeans and nice top, or a dress with a leather jacket.

3. A Good Leather Jacket

A well-fitting, good quality leather jacket (or pleather if you’re like me) is your best friend. These can be found in an array of colors, but I would advise you to stick to black to keep with the traditional biker jacket look. You can pair this with virtually anything in your closet. Any color shirt, any boot style, almost everything looks good with a leather jacket. My go-to look with this jacket is a light wash jean, a solid colored t-shirt, or even a tank top on warmer days and some ankle boots. When it comes to picking the right one, don’t settle. Make sure you’re absolutely in love with it before you buy it because you won’t feel 100% confident in something you only kind of like.

4. Lightly Ripped Jeans

Despite the weather getting colder, jeans with small rips in them make a statement while still keeping you warm. Rips look better with light wash, but if you’re going for a slimming effect try a darker wash. Pair these with a nice pair of black ankle boots and you can dress them up on a Friday night or throw on a sweater to dress them down if you’re running late to class (it happens to the best of us).

5. Longline Bomber Jacket

Oversized or not, these jackets are a must for Fall (and even Winter on the warmer days). Bombers are the perfect mix of edgy and comfy. You can easily throw one over a plain white t-shirt along with some boots and a necklace, and you’re good to go. Color wise, stick with olive green or black to ensure that you’ll be able to pair this piece with anything in your closet.

6. Slouchy T-Shirt

Baggy, comfy shirts will be your holy grail this Fall and Winter. Long sleeve or short sleeve, these are perfect for lazy days when all you really feel like doing is putting on leggings and watching Netflix. However, you can also make them look more put together with jeans, ankle boots and a well-fitting jacket to contrast the oversized aspect of these shirts. I personally love to stock up on these in different shades such as white, burgundy, and dark green to stick with the Fall theme, but also because they go perfectly with your other staples. Wear one of these out on a Friday night by tying a knot in the front paired with some high-waisted jeans.

7. Ankle Booties

These versatile shoes will serve you in almost any fashion situation. Get them in a neutral tone and you’ll be able to wear them with almost any outfit. A darker, chunkier boot is perfect for going out. They give you the perfect amount of edgy vibes while adding a few inches, essentially making you appear slimmer – two birds with one stone! For a more casual, daytime look, stick with a suede lighter colored boot.

8. Cropped Turtleneck

A turtleneck is the ultimate Fall fashion staple. When I was younger, I remember literally crying when my mom forced me to wear these to holiday dinners and I would spend the entire night scratching and tugging at the neckline. Today, I can’t imagine Fall without my favorite turtleneck sweater. A cropped turtleneck is perfect for the fashion savvy girl who still likes to stick with weather appropriate outfits. They are the perfect amount of warm and fashionable, and if you dress them up with ripped jeans and ankle boots, everyone will be asking where you got it. One of these will serve you from Fall all the way through Winter as long as you cover up with warm jackets during the colder months.

9. A Winter Coat

Less of a Fall staple and more of a Winter necessity, a long down coat keeps you looking chic while fighting frostbite. If you’re looking to stay chic in the negative degrees, stick to a knee length jacket preferably in black or other dark colors such as green and navy blue. A good quality down coat can be found at any discount store for a relatively cheap price. During those cold spells that last what seems way longer than weeks at a time, you’re not going to want to get out of bed every morning and actually get dressed. That’s where this coat will come in handy. Throw one on over even the most basic of outfits and you’ll be walking those slush-covered streets looking like a fashion editor.

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!