5 Worst Things About Being Sick at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We all know it’s cold and flu season at college and no one is safe from all of the germs. Getting sick is never fun, but it can be even worse when you’re at school. We’ve put together the top 5 worst things about it that we’ve all been through at least once in our college careers.

1. You have to take care of yourself. Gone are the days of having your parents there to make you all of your favorite comfort foods or pick up medicine for you. Now you’re expected to be an independent adult and do all of those things for yourself when all you want to do is wallow in your misery. Adulting is hard. 
  2. Your bed just isn’t as comfortable as your bed at home. Everyone knows that dorm beds are the worst, and when you’re sick all you want is your comfy bed at home. It’s hard to spread out and get comfy in a twin extra-long, but when you’re sick at school it’s pretty much all you’ve got. 
  3. It can be hard to get to a doctor and pick up prescriptions. Chances are you won’t be able to see your normal doctor from home when you’re sick at school. This means you’ll either have to go to health services at your school or find a walk in clinic somewhere close by. Once you’ve seen a doctor and have to pick up prescriptions, you’ll have to figure out which pharmacy to use and how to get there if you don’t have a car – probably some of the last things you want to do when you feel crummy. 
  4. You’re constantly worrying about missing class and your other responsibilities. When you’re in college it’s definitely not as easy to just do “make up” homework like you did when you were a kid. Now you have all sorts of papers, group projects, presentations and exams to worry about. Even when professors are understanding about you missing class or needing to turn work in late, it’s still stressful to be worrying about all of it when you’re laid up in bed. 
  5. You get home sick on top of being actually sick. Nothing will make you miss home more than when you feel terrible. You wish you could curl up on your couch with your pets and have all the comforts of home to make you feel better. Sometimes it’s even worth it to go home if you can when you’re really not feeling well. Having some rest and relaxation time in the comfort of your own home can work wonders, and it will help you get away from all of the germs that circulate around like wildfire in college.   
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!