4 Quick and Easy Birthday Gifts to Keep on Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We’ve all been there…a friend’s birthday comes up and all of a sudden the group chat is going crazy figuring out plans for a nice dinner or a party. A moment of panic sets in when you realize you have nothing to give that friend and no time to get to the store! Even Amazon Prime can’t get a gift to you in the amount of time you need it. So, what do you do? Show up empty handed? Write out an “I O U”? If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, it’s to always have a stash of small gifts on hand. Now, I don’t mean you have to have an entire bucket spilling over with amazing gifts to give at any time, but having a collection of small items will ease your mind when those last minute gift giving occasions come up. Here are a few never-fail gifts to keep stored away at all times.

1. Cake Flavored Vodka Nips – If you take one gift idea from this article, it should be this one. This is my absolute go-to gift idea for 21st birthdays and beyond. You can buy packages of these for pretty cheap and they won’t go bad. Simply wrap two of them up in tissue paper, tie it with a ribbon and you’re done! Everyone always appreciates this small but thoughtful gesture. If you want to add a bit more to the gift, keep a package of cute drink stirrers on hand and tie one into the ribbon to go with the nip.

2. Tumblers or To-Go Mugs with Candy – This gift works for just about anyone you may be celebrating. You can often find fun tumblers and to-go mugs at CVS or WalMart for about $5. To sweeten the gift, fill the cup with some small candy and you’re good to go. It’s especially thoughtful if you can find out the person’s favorite type of candy beforehand.

3. Fuzzy Socks and/or PJ Shorts – Some of the best small gifts I have given have included comfy PJ shorts or fuzzy socks, if not both. I have had great luck finding both of these things on sale at Old Navy every year. Usually after the holidays, they’ll put all of their flannel PJ shorts on sale for about $3. If you can, stock up on these in a few sizes. This is a gift people will actually use and something not many people would think to give. For fuzzy socks, you can always add a body lotion or scrub to take it to the next level.

4. $5 Coffee Cards – This is another fool proof gift because let’s face it, who doesn’t like at least one thing on the menu at either Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? When you think of it, grab a few $5 gift cards with your morning coffee and tuck them away in a drawer. As a backup, you can always send the person an e-gift card as well! I have done this numerous times with Starbucks cards, and they allow you to choose the design on the e-card as well as customize your message and determine exactly when it will be delivered to the recipient via email.

Lastly, always make sure to have some wrapping essentials stored away with these gifts. Usually tissue paper and ribbon will suffice for your basic wrapping needs, and you can find both of these at the dollar store. It never hurts to have some blank note cards on hand as well that you can customize with a personal saying depending on the occasion. Acquiring this small stash of gifts will make your life so much easier, and you’ll thank yourself every time you need a last minute gift and it’s already taken care of!

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!