Why Not Give Non-Hormonal Birth Control a Try?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Hormonal birth control isn’t for everyone. Whether you don’t want to change your hormones artificially, you can’t remember to take the pill at the same time every day, or you just want a different method, non-hormonal birth control may be a good option!

Good news: you most likely won’t, especially if you use one of these methods!

The Copper Intrauterine Device (IUD)

How it Works: A doctor inserts the IUD into the uterus. It protects against pregnancy by changing the way sperm moves and preventing it from entering the egg. It also alters the lining of the uterus. It does not cause infertility as many believe, but can raise the likelihood of infertility if it is implanted when a person already has an STI.

Pros: It can last up to twelve years.

Cons: It has to be inserted by a doctor and cost anywhere between $500 to $1000. It does not protect against STIs.

Spermicide

How it Works: Chemicals that kill sperm are inserted to the vagina right before sex. It is often used with other forms of birth control.

Pros: Can be used with other forms of birth control.

Cons: It can be hard to use correctly. When used alone, it has a lower success rate than many other forms.

The Sponge

How it Works: A plastic foam sponge with spermicide on it covers the cervix.

Pros: You don’t need a prescription and it is free under the Affordable Care Act. You can have sex as many times as you want for the first 24 hours after inserting it.

Cons: It can cause messy or dry sex. It can also be expensive. It is not as effective at protecting against pregnancy as some other methods. It does not protect against STIs.

Male and Female Condoms

How It Works: They prevent sperm from entering the vagina.

Pros: The only form of non-hormonal birth control that protects against STIs! They’re also the most familiar form of birth control for most people. They are also inexpensive and easy to find.

Cons: There is a risk of them breaking

Diaphragm  

How it Works: A cup is inserted into the vagina to cover the cervix, preventing sperm from fertilizing an egg. It should be used along with spermicide.

Pros: It can be inserted hours before sex.

Cons: It needs to be fitted by a doctor (after the fitting, it does not need to be inserted by a doctor). It cannot be used while you’re on your period. It can also be difficult to insert and may move around during sex.  It does not protect against STIs.

Cervical Cup

How it Works: A silicone cup is inserted over your cervix. It should be used with spermicide.

Pros: It lasts for up to two years.

Cons: It has a lower success rate than some other forms. It cannot be used while on your period. It requires a prescription. It does not protect against STIs. Whichever method (or methods) you choose, all of them are both effective and safe.

Claire Rhode is a junior double majoring in creative writing and history. She is the senior editor of Chatham's Her Campus chapter and also edits for Mighty Quill Books and the Minor Bird. You can also read her work on InMotion and Fauna's blogs.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.