Special Edition: Advice from our Spring 2015 Celebrities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Need some advice? Our Spring 2015 Campus Celebrities can help.

Jessica Ray, Fashion Blogger

Advice for artistic students taking business courses:

“That it’s tough, but you just have to think about your ultimate goal to get through it. As an artistic student, business courses like accounting & statistics do not come easily for me, but you have to push through it if you consistently think about graduating. When I struggle with something, I envision myself walking across the stage to reach for my degree. It’s something that I really want to accomplish, and that usually gives me that extra push. So find your “push” and think about it through hard times.”

Advice for bloggers building their brands:

“Be true to who YOU are. Don’t follow the crowd, and create your own ideas and work. Someone once told me, don’t be a ‘me too’, and it’s true.”

Shannon Ward, HC Chatham Alum

Advice for incoming first years:

“My best advice for the class of 2019 is to be prepared for a lot of change and the madness that can sometimes accompany change. You’re going to be living in the most transitional period that Chatham University has ever seen. It’s hard to know what to expect now, but if your experience is anything like mine, you’ll be grateful for every second you spend at Chatham University.”

Kayla Clem, HC Chatham Alum and Former Events Director

Advice for incoming first years:

“The advice I have is to hold on to the desire to learn and to soak in everything you can from the four years.”

Indigo Baloch, Editor-in-Chief of the Communique

Advice for college students taking courses in writing:

“Don’t be afraid. I know it’s nerve-wracking, but if you open yourself up and share your gift, you will be so surprised and pleased with the acceptance and kindness of others. I recently did a poetry reading and I was so nervous—even though I’ve done them before. But afterwards, people came up to me and told me they loved my work and were so happy I read. It feels so good and I think everyone should take advantage of the great opportunities this world can offer us.”

Advice for prospective students:

“Get involved, speak up, and be good. For many people this will be an entirely new experience. You might be away from home for the first time, living on your own for the first time. You have to make new friends, adjust to a new place and new rules, and you have this incredible chance to reinvent yourself. College is a time of change. Be smart. Be your ultimate self. Don’t overwork yourself, and make time to relax and have fun, but don’t choose partying over academics. Be careful about the friends you make. Make use of the opportunities in student organizations. Be kind to others, but don’t be a doormat. Make your voice heard. Be a leader. Anyone can.”

Stephanie Reynolds, Former Assistant Director of Student Affairs and Residence Life at Chatham University

Advice for graduating seniors searching for jobs:

“To take chances!!! You’re not going to get your dream job out of college, and if you do – rock it!!  I always tell students you have to work yourself out of a position.  Be so good at what you do – even if it’s just answering the phone and filing papers – that folks can’t help but to notice you.  You’re destined to do great things – it just takes time, practice and excellence to get there.  And know that folks are always watching.  You never know who you’ll encounter that may have some random connection that can aid you in achieving the next step in your career – so do great work in everything you do.”

Advice for making Chatham feel like home:

“Ask for help when you need it – trust me, it took me four months of working at Chatham to find the Library Parking lot all because I didn’t ask questions.  Home is easily defined by the people in your life, not the location – so it’s up to each individual to make connections and strive to be a part of the Chatham Community for the environment to really feel like home.”

Emily Cassel, Life Coach

Advice for staying focused on success in your senior year:

Define what “success” really means to you, and what that looks like. Set aside some time each morning to visualize what a successful day would look like for you. Simply taking the time to envision this at the start of your day, even if it’s in the few minutes after you wake up and you’re still laying in bed, can keep you laser-focused and excited about what’s to come.

Advice for soon-to-be graduates saying goodbye to Chatham:

“Even though you’ll move on, grow, and change, everything that’s happened during your time at Chatham has played a huge role in making you who you are now. If we’re being real, the world is shrinking! We are so lucky because we have things now like Skype and cell phones, where we can always be in constant contact with one another. If you have a tight-knit group of friends, create a private Facebook group with each other so you don’t fall out of touch and can stay updated on each others’ successes, and continue to support each other in times of need.

“It’s a fact of life that you grow and change, and the friends you have now will do the same. That may mean that you’ll continue your friendship, but it might not. You have to get comfortable with that, and be excited about making new friendships and having new experiences!”

Catherine Giles, ’15/’16 President of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) and Blue Key Honor Society

Advice for summer interns:

“Beware of the fact that sometimes, summer internships do not count. My friend did an amazing internship over the summer, but because of problems with her advisor, that internship did not count because of paperwork issues, and she graduated a semester later. Additionally, some summer internships require extra money because they’re not covered for summer tuition. Basically, just be careful of the fine details!”

Advice for incoming first years on balance:

“Learn to say no. My sophomore year, I was involved in too many extracurriculars and it was overwhelming. Additionally, set small goals for yourself. I’ve started to play  Pokémon or read my Kindle for at least one hour per day. This way, I can do something that I enjoy, while still allotting myself time for work. I also try to accomplish at least one task a day, and I keep a running to-do list.”

Professor Stacey Conner, Director of Choral Activities at Chatham University

Advice for aspiring professional singers:

“Grow a strong backbone.  You will go to hundreds of auditions, receive critique and criticism left and right. Build your resume, dress professionally, and love your art!”

Dana DePasquale and Hallie Arena, Co-Advisors of the Student Alumni Association

Advice for soon-to-be graduates taking on leadership roles:

Dana: I would say my piece of advice is to not wear your age on your sleeve. I think age is one of those funny guessing games where students like to ask, “How old are you? How old are you?” Personally, as a direct supervisor of students in a phonathon arena, it was really important to me for them to know that I was someone who should be respected, and I think that’s how you carry yourself. [It’s reflected in] your personality, your transparency, your honesty and your accountability with the students, holding them accountable. So age shouldn’t be a factor.

Hallie: I agree with that. I would also say from experience to still be yourself, right? You don’t have to pretend to be older and know more than you know. I think they respect you more when they trust you and you’re being honest.

Dana: Absolutely.

Hallie: Just be yourself. You know, if you don’t know the answer, that’s okay, you’ll figure out how to find it and give them the answer. So just be you.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.