Monica Ballard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Monica Ballard

Year: Junior

Hometown and what you love about it: West Mifflin, PA. I don’t love a single thing about it. 

Area of study and how you chose it: Creative writing. I started writing poems in the sixth grade because I heard Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day was secretly posting on this one poetry website

What is one thing you hope to learn in 2015?
How to swim.

Why did you choose Chatham?
I used to drive by Chatham a lot with my dad. I told him that one day I wanted to go there. Here I am. 

What advice do you have for prospective students making their college decision?
Don’t do it straight out of high school. You really don’t know anything about the world and college is a life changing decision that you’re simply not ready for at 18. 

What’s surprised you most about Chatham so far?
That I can eat as much ice cream as I want and no one can stop me

Childhood Dream Job: Kenny the Kangaroo 

Current Dream Job: Vagrant

If you could only eat at one Pittsburgh restaurant for a full year, which one would you pick and why?
Probably Mad Mex because they have 12 oz. margaritas. 

If you could be best friends with any movie character, who would you pick and why?
The creature from Eraserhead. We have a lot in common. 

If you could join the cast of any TV show, which one would you pick and why?
Steven Universe so I could be a crystal gem and maybe kiss amethyst.

You have a friend visiting Pittsburgh for one day, and you’re planning the itinerary. Where do you take them? 
The aviary. Sometimes you can touch the penguins there if no one is around and you can reach far enough in the tank to grab one.

You can live in the world of one book for a day. Which one do you choose and why?
That’s such an unfair question. Probably Watership Down because rabbits are soft.

All photos courtesy of Monica Ballard.                   

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.