Marvin Hamlisch, Robert Page, and the Pittsburgh Symphony: One All-Star College Choir Member’s Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to have been given a once in a lifetime experience: I got to sing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (PSO). It was every choir nerd’s dream come true. Each year, the PSO has a concert that features an All-Star College Choir comprised of quartets of singers from colleges in and around the Pittsburgh area. Our school sent La’Keeta Pittman, Marissa Weaver, Sage Ziviello and me. When we signed up, it sounded simple. Attend six, three-hour rehearsals, learn the music, and perform. We never imagined how challenging yet gratifying an experience it would be.

When I went to the first rehearsal, I was handed a binder that contained four barely legible handwritten songs. They weren’t just any handwritten songs, however. These songs were composed by Robert Page, a man who the American Record Review called “a national treasure” in 1998. And a treasure he was. Working with him was like nothing else I had ever done. Dr. Page is in his eighties but has the energy of someone half his age. For over thirty years, Dr. Page has prepared countless choirs for Hamlisch and other conductors. He does so much work but rarely steps into the spotlight. All of his experience made him a master at handling a room full of excited college students. He knew exactly how to make us work our hardest while still enjoying every moment of it. Under his direction, we were able to take those four handwritten pages and turn them into something beautiful.

In total, there were 66 participating students from 12 different schools. Working with them was truly a treat. The students were the best of the best and talented beyond belief. Most of them were music or performance majors, which was intimidating for a Biology major like me. They knew all of the music terms, could instantly sing any song they were given, and were serious about what they did. At the same time, they were some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

In just four short days, we knew all four songs mostly by memory. It was time to put it all together with the orchestra. Walking out onstage in front of such a well-renowned group was extremely intimidating. I didn’t know how I, as a simple college science student, would be able to accompany such a prestigious orchestra. As they started to play the first song, however, my worries melted away. I couldn’t help but grin like a madwoman. I was surrounded by sound. I felt like I had my own personal orchestra playing just for me. I didn’t have to force a smile onto my face while performing because, in reality, I couldn’t have forced it off of my face if I had tried. I had better “seats” for the PSO than most people could dream to have, and I had them for free.  I think I can speak for everyone when I say we were in music heaven.

If the rehearsals were that fantastic, the performances were even better. Seeing the beaming smiles of the audience members and hearing their raucous applause is something I will never forget. Even when we weren’t singing, we got to sit behind the orchestra and listen to them play night after night. At first I was worried that I would grow tired of listening to the same songs over and over again, but I was completely wrong. Every evening I noticed something in the music that I hadn’t before. What was even more amazing was that the orchestra was conducted by none other than Marvin Hamlisch himself.

Marvin Hamlisch is a musical god among men. He’s one of two people to have ever won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, a Tony, Golden Globes and a Pulitzer Prize. He’s written scores for musicals, had cameo roles in movies, and he is the Principal Pops Conductor for several orchestras across the nation. Hamlisch made the shows even more enjoyable for all by interviewing four or five choir members each night, bantering back and forth with individuals from each school. No one can deny Hamlisch’s talent and stage presence; he is a born performer.

During the last performance, however, Hamlisch fell ill. He left the stage abruptly in the middle of the third to last song. Although the orchestra continued on flawlessly without him, the audience was confused and the choir was really nervous. We were afraid for Hamlisch’s health, and we were nervous because we still had one more song to perform. We knew we couldn’t do it without a conductor. Right when they were about to skip our song and end the show, Dr. Page walked onstage. Every one of the choir members stood up and cheered as Dr. Page grinned and took Hamlisch’s place. It was the last song of our last performance, and we sang our hearts out. We sang for Dr. Page and for all he did for us, we sang for Marvin Hamlisch and for his health, but most importantly, we sang for the pure and unadulterated joy of singing.

Performing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra was an indescribable experience. It was truly awesome in the most classical sense of the word. I will forever be grateful to Marvin Hamlisch, Robert Page, the entire Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and to all of my peers who made those two weeks the most memorable of my entire life. 

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.