Ivy Kuhrman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Ivy Kuhrman

Year: Sophomore

What is your major and why did you choose it?

I’m a Communications major with a concentration in Journalism and minors in Media Arts Graphic Design and Art Museum Studies. It’s a long list, but I have many interests, so I’ve tried to incorporate them all into my studies.

What’s your hometown, and what do you love about it?

I lived in Brooklyn, NY until I was 9 years old. My neighborhood had so much personality; it was like a small town where everyone knew everyone to say hi to and stop and chat with. Plus, it was only a couple of subway stops from the excitement of Manhattan.

If you could assign everyone at Chatham one book to read, what would it be and why?

There are so many great books out there, but I think I would assign The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It’s a quick read, and when I read it last summer I just couldn’t put it down.

Why did you choose Chatham?

I chose Chatham because of its liberal arts curriculum, its promise of turning me into a world ready woman, and its proximity to Razzy Fresh.

What do you love most about being a Chatham student?

As a student at Chatham, I love that I am able to participate in its Ukulele Club.

Suppose you can pick any musician or band to perform at your next birthday party. Who do you choose and why?

I would probably invite Vampire Weekend, since they’re my favorite band. I love their music, and they seem like a bunch of interesting, humorous guys.

You have a friend coming to Pittsburgh for one day, and you can only take them to do one thing. Where do you go/what do you do and why?

I would take him or her on the incline up to Mount Washington. It’s kind of a selfish decision because I haven’t been there in years, and I really want to go, but I think seeing Pittsburgh from that vantage point is always exciting for visitors.

Which TV character would you want to be your best friend and why?

I would either want to be friends with Ned from Pushing Daisies because we could solve crimes and eat pie with his gang of friends, or I would want to be friends with Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls because she was one of my first favorite characters and she, too, would be up for eating pie.

What was your childhood dream job?

As a child, I wanted to be an astronaut and a circus clown.

What’s your current dream job and why?

I like art, writing, and living in New York City, so I’ll take anything that can combine those three.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.