How To (Actually) Get Clear Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

First, you are going to need a cleanser. This is not a makeup remover, let’s be clear. Makeup removers are designed to remove makeup from your skin, but cleansers actually clean the skin and rid it of impurities. Before you can pick a cleanser, you need to know your skin type and what your skin responds well to. Cream cleansers are good for sensitive skin, but acne prone skin needs an active ingredient such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Exfoliation is key, but don’t overdo it. There are also different kinds of exfoliants depending on your needs, from beaded scrubs to sugar scrubs to chemical exfoliants like AHA’s and BHA’s. Doing your own research as well as trying products by trial and error are good ways of deducing your skin needs.

Once you’ve figured out what your skin needs in a cleanser, you should try to pin down a skin care system. In general, you are going to want some kind of toner, a treatment when applicable, and a moisturizer. These are entirely customizable according to your needs.

Next, you should adjust your lifestyle towards better habits. Consuming more water, fresh fruits and vegetables, and exercising regularly all contribute to healthier skin. In addition to that, ensuring that you are receiving all necessary nutrients by taking vitamins is a good habit to get into.

Lastly, consider a trip to the doctor or dermatologist. Some skin conditions respond well to birth control, and other require prescription creams and treatments.

Those are my tips! Let us know what you think in the comments!