Chatham 101: Articles for Future Cougars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Welcome to Chatham, Class of 2019! Whether you’re already enrolled or you’re making your decision, here’s a collection of articles we’ve published to help Future Cougars make a smooth transition to campus.

Accepted Student Day at Chatham University: Tips from Current Students

Tip: Ask everyone you meet one question.

Professors. Staff members. Current students. They’re all there for you, and they want to answer your questions (really!). Not only will you get to talk with some pretty cool people, but you’ll probably make new friends. “That way, when the school year starts, you will already have a footing with the community,” says Shannon Ward ’14. “You’ll come back to campus to find familiar faces instead of strangers.”

5 Tips for Incoming First Years: Registering for Classes

Tip: Listen to your advisor.

“If you’re in the science, DO WHAT YOUR ADVISOR TELLS YOU,” stresses Gretchen Geibel. “He/she will know best, and it will help you keep on track for graduation. There’s not a lot of wiggle room, especially in Biochemistry or Chemistry.”

Interview with a Transfer Student

Tip: “Don’t be disappointed if you run into some difficulty with making friends with the returning students. Even though you’re not new to college, it can be a little disconcerting for your fellow classmates who have been together since the beginning to admit a new member. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to meet both the first years and my fellow transfers so I had no problem with the transition. Transferring to a university is a pretty unique experience in that you are hovering in between being new to a college but not being new to college itself. But, after a while, all of that fades away as you progress into the school year and become just another member of the Chatham community.” – Stephanie Welling

The Future Cougar’s Guide to Fitness

Tip: No matter which workout you choose, dedication is key. “Try to get yourself motivated to schedule some time in the AFC as soon as you get on campus,” says Shannon. “The sooner you get involved with it, the more likely you are to stick with it, especially if you have a workout partner pushing you along. Remember, gym memberships are expensive, but the AFC is free to students. Take advantage of that while you can!”

The Future Cougar’s Guide to Dorm Life

Tip: Onastasia Youssef mentions “that you cannot bring your own mattress”: something to keep in mind when you’re shopping for dorm supplies. Another advisory? Pack lightly. Amy Chau wishes someone had warned her she “would have more stuff at the end of the year than beginning of the year.”

The Future Cougar’s Guide to Commuting

Tip: You may not have a roommate’s name popping up in your inbox, but you can still take advantage of summer events to find new friends. “Attend Chatham’s Open Houses and Student Orientation,” suggests Laura Jackson. Though some events are mandatory, others get lost in the whirlwind of college prep; don’t miss them! Connecting with people before school starts means you’ll know people on campus before you take your seat on the first day.

The Future Cougar’s Guide to Roommates

Tip: If you don’t know your roommate(s) from childhood or high school, it’s likely you’ll have pre-meeting jitters. Whether you connect with her at an Open House or say hi for the first time in the dorm doorway, Kayla Mento suggests starting with the basics. “Talk about things you may have in common,” she says, “ask their major, ask where they came from.” Of course, there’s more to the first meeting than just exchanging words: you’re also forming an opinion. “Don’t make an unchanging first impression,” says Stephanie Welling. “Everyone’s different when they first meet someone, and that will quickly change over the course of the year.” Remember, it’s just a first meeting; keep the conversation light. As Kayla puts it, “Be honest, but don’t be terribly honest, because you could scare your roommate off.”

Keep an eye on HC Chatham’s page over the next few months for more Future Cougars content!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.