Brain Food for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

[Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author]

Finals are quickly approaching. What’s a good way to get energy and still look pretty? Well, eating is always good. Not all food is great for you of course. Eating right will make you look healthy and pretty. Here are the top 3 foods I swear by.

Green Tea

I love green tea. Tea is very popular in the world, especially in the Asian community. Asians drink black and green tea. Green tea has lots of antioxidants, which prevents early aging and wrinkles. Drinking green tea boosts up your immune system, which helps a lot if you pull all-nighters before finals (so you won’t get sick). You can do a lot with green tea. I tried to make green tea yogurt masks before. It was very hydrating. It restores your skin to make it feel smooth and soft. One downside about green tea is that it contains caffeine, so don’t drink too much at night. You will not be able to sleep (but that’s what you want if you’d like to pull an all-nighter).

Bananas

Bananas are high in potassium, iron and sugar. Potassium helps to maintain blood pressure and heart function. One banana a day will keep high blood pressure away! It’s also great to boost your energy before studies. It’s always good to have a banana with you. Bananas can also reduce stress, and finals are definitely big stressors for everyone. Bananas can calm you down. You can eat banana raw, or you can put it in salad. My friends suggested eating bananas with honey, peanut butter or nuts. You should try it and comment below!

Yogurt

Yogurt contains an amino acid that helps to produce dopamine and noradrenalin. The two neurotransmitters improve your mental focus during test time and help you remember different facts and figures. Many brands of yogurt on the market have active culture in it. Different types of culture will help you in different ways. For example, Activia has specific cultures to regulate the digestive system. Don’t like yogurt plain? Try Allrecipes.com for ways to work it in to your favorite foods. If you want to buy yogurt, try to get an organic brand. It’s good for the environment and good for you, too!

There you have it! Choosing the right foods will make you prettier, healthier and give you the focus you need for a long, sleepless week of exams. Good luck!

Sources:

About.com

BananasWeb.com

The World’s Healthiest Foods

WebMD

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.