Alternative (and Stylish) Recycling, Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

A few weeks ago, we brought some sustainable new decorating ideas to your table with everyday objects.  Get ready for the second installment of our eco-friendly sustainability blog!

1. Make a pet bed out of an old sweatshirt. Remember that Aeropostale hoodie you haven’t worn since the fourth grade? Now, instead of tossing it out, use it as a washable, comfortable bed for your pet! You’ll need a little bit of stuffing and an old pillow, but making this for your pet is easy! Simply stuff the arms with some fiberfill, insert the pillow in the bottom of the hoodie, and sew together! For a more elaborate explanation, visit this website

2. Make fabulous jewelry from #6 plastic containers. Remember “Shrinky Dinks”? With a #6 plastic container, you could make your own! The only stipulation is that it must be a #6. Look inside the triangle on the bottom to make sure! Grab some sharpies, scissors, a hole punch, parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Cut out your desired shape from the container. Color in with sharpie. Put a hole using the hold punch at one end. Lay it flat on parchment paper in the oven (a toaster oven can work, too!) and watch as your creation magically forms before your eyes! If it curls up a bit, no worries—it will eventually settle out.

3. Make beautiful, glowing flowers! Almost every collegiette has “Christmas” lights around her room, whether it be dorm or in her home. Ever wanted to spice them up a little? Take egg cartons, preferably the cardboard kind, cut a hole in the bottom and slit down the sides. Then attach around your lights to make flowers! (Helpful Hint: It’s better to use more than one; you get more of a flowery affect that way.)

4. Instead of buying those watering globes for household and potted plants, use old glass wine bottles! Simply fill with water, add in a few “flat backed marbles,” tuck the mouth end into the soil, and allow the plant to do all the work! As the soil dries out from the plant’s roots, water from the bottle will trickle down and water the plant at the roots. The flat backed marbles will also ensure that too much water does not escape. For a more elaborate demonstration, check this out.

5. Turn a two-liter bottle of pop into an elaborate earring holder! Carefully cut your bottle into a spiral going down; then, poke holes using a pin or small hole punch intermittently down the entire strip. For a better picture, visit this site.

Sources:

Dabbled

Lettuce Share

Mich L. in L.A.

My Favorite Pup Jasmine 

Pinterest

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.