5 Ways to Get Involved with the Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
We had a blast partnering with the Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics on their screening of Madame Presidenta: Why Not U.S.? – Vamos Meninos. Now that it’s over, we’re looking forward to all of the amazing events PCWP has planned for the semester ahead. Whether you’re an aspiring politician, a future community organizer, or just an incredible collegiate leader, here are five ways to get involved with PCWP this semester.

1. Register to Vote

PCWP representatives will be on hand in Anderson Dining Hall throughout September and October to get you registered to vote. They’ll be tabling from 11:30am to 1pm September 22, 24, and 30 and October 2. Can’t make it? They’re welcoming students to stop by their office on the second floor of Braun Hall. No matter when you register, be sure you get to the polls!

2. Partake in a PLEN Seminar

Each year, select students travel to Washington, D.C. for PLEN (Public Leadership Education Network) Seminars. Aspiring attorneys may be interested in Women, Law and Legal Advocacy. Future doctor, nurse or PA? Check out Science and Health Policy: Critical Issues. And if you want to run for office, Women’s Leadership in Public Policy will give you good training. Interested? PCWP will give students the info on scholarships during a PLEN Info Session in the PCW Room on October 9 from 11:30am – 1:30pm.

Hang Out with the Women of City Council

PCWP is bringing the women of Pittsburgh City Council to campus for an evening of networking, wine and cheese. Though the fee for community members is $12, Cougars can register for free on myChatham. Meet Deborah Gross, Darlene M. Harris, Theresa Kail-Smith and Natalia Rudiak. They’ll be sharing stories and invaluable advice on October 22 from 6pm to 8pm in the Mellon Board Room.

Join an Election Night Watch Party…

The PCWP makes election night even more fun! Munch on snacks, play games and win prizes while watching the election returns on November 4 from 8pm to 10pm in the Carriage House Student Lounge.

…And Learn the Surprises Behind the Results

Pick up lunch from Anderson Dining Hall, then head to the Mellon Living Room for post-election analysis on November 5 from 12pm to 1:30pm. You’ll hear from Melissa Daniels (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review) and Kate Giammarise (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette). 

Be sure to check myChatham for registration details, and like PCWP on Facebook for up-to-date event info.
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.