5 Videos to Get You Fired Up for PCWP’s Screening of “Miss Representation”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

On Thursday, February 27 at 6pm, members of the Chatham community will gather in the Eddy Theatre for a screening of Miss Representation. A breathtaking look at the serious consequences of women’s representation in the media, this is a powerful film everyone should watch (we love it so much, we’ve partnered with PCWP to promote it). To give you a sense of what to expect (and get you completely fired up), here are five videos from The Representation Project.

Miss Representation Trailer

“We’re shortchanging voices that are urgently needed in public forums from ever getting to the table.”

– Cory Booker, United States Senator and Former Mayor of Newark, New Jersey

Cause and Effect: How the Media You Consume Can Change Your Life

“8 is the peak age for girls’ leadership ambitions.”

Gloria Steinem: What’s New is Old

“The whole idea of hierarchies instead of circles is really pretty much confined to five percent of human history, so perhaps we should just understand we’ve been part of an experiment that failed.”

– Gloria Steinem, Feminist Organizer & Writer, Co-Founder of the Women’s Media Center

The Double Standard of Beauty

“So no matter what else a woman does – runs for President or leads a company or whatever else she does – she’s going to be judged by how she looks probably first and foremost, regardless.”

– Jean Kilbourne, EdD, Filmmaker (Killing Us Softly), Author & Senior Scholar, Wellesley Centers for Women

The Representation Project: Rewrite the Story

“We’re creating new leaders, and they’re going to not look like how they always did. That is the true reflection of this country and of this world.”

– Rosario Dawson, Actor

Want to see Miss Representation? If you’re a student, register on myChatham. If you’re a member of the community, register on the Pennsylvania Center for Women & Politics website here.

Photo from The Representation Project: Rewrite the Story

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.