5 Places to Get One-of-a-Kind Gifts in Pittsburgh This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Realistically, you could finish all of your holiday shopping within a mile of campus. But if you’re looking for delightfully original gifts, we know five places you need to check out.

1. Shop Small Shop Handmade in Shadyside

If you’re planning to stroll along Walnut Street this holiday season, stop by on a Saturday to sip a warm drink and browse the work of 20 artists. Pick up baked goods for your roommate, jewelry for your mom, and maybe even a few prints to decorate your residence hall room.

2. Pittsburgh Glass Center Holiday Glass Sale

Turn your home into a glass gallery: visit the Pittsburgh Glass Center to browse and buy delightfully delicate art. The sale runs Friday, December 5 from 6pm to 9pm, Saturday, December 6 from 10am to 4pm and Sunday, December 7 from 10am to 4pm. On Friday, see artists show you their creative process during hot glass demonstrations. If you’re stopping by on Saturday, sign up for the Make-It-Now Ornaments Workshop. All sessions appear to be full, but add your name to the wait list if you’d like to make your own blown-glass gift!

3. Peoples Gas Holiday Market

If you can’t take a European vacation this winter, this German-style holiday market might be the next best thing. Feast on strudel and sweet crepes from Yule Haus while you browse artist chalets set up throughout Market Square. The international artisans are accompanied by daily entertainment: perfect for a festive escape during finals week.

4. Pittsburgh Center for the Arts Holiday Shop

Visit our neighbors at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts for handmade gifts of all kinds. Whether you need a necklace for your niece or an ornament for your uncle, their elegant offerings are high-quality investments.

5. Handmade Arcade

If you want to give a loved one something undeniably cool this winter, go for a gift from Handmade Arcade. Some of Pittsburgh’s most interesting artists come out for this one-day event, selling everything from intricately-cut jewelry to scientific stationery.

How will you support local artists this holiday season? Tell us in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.