10 Ways to Treat Yourself During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Chatham students are good at random acts of kindness: spontaneous presents, surprise parties, even notes of encouragement left on the bathroom mirror. But even as you’re bringing dinner back for your roomie or running a group study session, it’s important to be kind to yourself.

Her Campus sent us the ultimate Finals Week Survival Kit, packed with treats to help us plow through exams. Next time you’ve got a terrifying test, a monstrous midterm or a frightening final, create a care package with these tips.

When you can’t stop sneezing…

Three fundamental truths of Finals Week:

1.     It will rain (or sleet, or snow).

2.     Post-midnight library selfies are the best selfies.

3.     Half of the university population will be sick.

When you’re coughing into your flashcards, it’s impossible to focus. Swing by the drugstore and stock up on essentials before your big week: a thermometer, chocolate (always!) and any necessary medicine. Her Campus sent us Cold-EEZE remedies, and we couldn’t be more grateful to have them on hand. Browse the shelves to find the Cold-EEZE remedy that fits your needs, whether it’s multi-symptom relief or immune support. If you get sick, you’ll have what you need to handle it.

When you can barely squeeze a review session into your schedule…

Between exams, presentations and meetings, a collegiette’s schedule is complicated. Before you dart off for the day, pack a portable snack in your purse to keep you energized between appointments. LUNA bars are a fantastic choice: they’re 70% organic, use no artificial ingredients, and are packed with essentials every student needs (antioxidants, protein, fiber, calcium and folic acid). We’re a bit obsessed with Chocolate Peppermint Stick (perfect for the holidays!).

When you’ve worn the same sweatshirt three days in a row…

Let’s be real: who has time to do laundry during Finals Week? But even if we wear the same cardigan three days in a row, we’d still like a boost to start the day. Have bright, bold wardrobe staples on hand: socks, hats and even undies! We recommend Cosabella: their vibrant pieces are sure to brighten a gray morning.

When you’re reaching for a fifth cookie from the library tray…

We’re all for sweet treats during finals week, but it’s all too tempting to overdo it. Coordinating a study group? Bring snacks for everyone! A good choice: Kettle Brand. With salt and pepper chips and maple bacon popcorn, your classmates will be nibbling happily during your session while avoiding a sugar crash. Have some bags left over? Pass them on! Kettle Brand sent us “Hey, Neighbor” Kits: tote bags packed with snacks. The goal is to refill the bag when it’s empty and give it to someone else who needs a boost.

When you’ve got a post-all-nighter hair crisis….

Skip the hat and opt for hair first aid. Don’t have time for a full blowout? TRESemmé hairspray will nix those flyaways fast. Gearing up for the week ahead? Try a long-term treatment to keep your ‘do under control. TRESemmé’s 7 Day Keratin Smooth controls hair without damaging it, and it lasts through washes! Looking for some style inspiration? Check out TRESemmé’s YouTube channel.

When you’re basically running on coffee…

During finals, Cougars practically live out of Café Rachel. Between lattes, be sure to sip some H20. Since Chatham is a water bottle-free campus, you’ll want to keep a reusable bottle on hand. CamelBak bottles are spill-proof, durable, BPA-free and dishwasher safe. They’ve even got a lifetime guarantee! We love the baby pink color.

When you need to glitz up for your big presentation…

A tutorial board meeting is a fancy affair: blazers, pencil skirts and heels abound. Add the finishing touch to your power outfit with jewelry! chain & charcoal’s College Catwalk Collection is built for a collegiette’s style and her budget. Order a necklace, bracelet or ring to give you a boost before you step up to the podium.

When you need a change of scenery…

Sometimes, you can’t spend one more minute at your desk. Hop on the shuttle and head to Oakland! Even if you can’t afford to spend the night partying at Pitt, there’s almost always time to grab a bite with a few friends. The key to a Chatham woman’s heart: Chipotle. Not only is it ridiculously fast, but Chipotle delivers Food with Integrity: think organic ingredients and naturally-raised meat.

When you’re freaked about your future…

On Wednesday of a crazy week, it’s difficult to think one day ahead, let alone a month or a year. In the midst of the chaos, it’s critical to set goals and stick to them so you remember why you’re working so hard in the first place. Bayer provides a tool to help you do just that: The Timeline Project. Log on to create an action plan for your life, then share your progress and accomplishments using #TheTimelineProject.

When you’re finally done…

Treat yourself! You deserve it. One suggestion: a gorgeous bracelet from BaubleBar. Use Promo Code HERCAMPUS to get 25% off your jewelry order through December 31.

What essentials do you keep on hand for finals, midterms or any major exam? Share in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.