10 Things You Know If You Love Art and Science

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Scientific research requires a large amount of ingenuity and creativity, but sometimes people still have creative interests outside of the physical, natural, and social sciences. If this sounds like you, hello, artsy scientist. I feel your struggle.

1. There’s not enough time in the day because both your scientific and artistic ventures take plenty of time and devotion. When you look at your clock after a long period of flow focuses on either, you feel like:

2. You sometimes get less sleep than you should because of your ventures, especially since you still have to make sure all of your homework is completed if you ended up spending the day on art. 

3. Often you have to choose between everything that interests you and that you could be involved in, and you end up either signing up for too many things, or falling into an existential crisis trying to choose.

4. When people ask you want you want to do with your life, you often have two (or five) distinct answers and whoever asked ends up looking like this:

5. If you can study in artistic ways – such as creating your own versions of already well-made diagrams – you sometimes wonder if the time it takes to study more so helps you deeply reinforce the material or if it just makes you happy.

6. Finding resources like these makes you wonder how you did not look for or know about them sooner. 

7. Often your science professors understand and support your artistic ventures outside of class and it gives you life 

8. You wish there were a better way to combine your polar opposite interests (see what I did there?), and when you find a way to, you can’t hold in your excitement. 

9. When you hear a song on the radio that correctly uses scientific terms or concepts, you feel like someone finally understands you.

10. You are completely used to submitting to a literary journal on day, and a scientific journal or for research opportunities the next. No big deal. 

You might always be doing the absolute most, but no matter what, science and art will always be so important to you. Power on, artsy scientist, you can do it.

Jessica Keller is a senior biochemistry major at Chatham University minoring in psychology and music. She is a culture writer for The Chatham Post. This summer, she started as a columnist for Queer PGH. Her poetry and prose have been featured in multiple editions of Chatham's Minor Bird literary magazine.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.