Whatever You Do, Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I used to do the math backwards in my head to see when I’d be old enough to vote.

I could not wait for the year when I would finally have the chance to mark my ballot and have my voice heard. Even though I’m a Californian and my vote pertaining to the general election really doesn’t matter as much as a vote cast in other states, it mattered a great deal to me, because I would finally feel like a real American. 18 was a milestone not only in my personal life, but in my life as a citizen of the most incredible, democratic country on Earth where I reserved the right to act upon my freedom of speech.

So never in my wildest dreams – or rather, nightmares – did I imagine that my first time voting in a presidential election would be one as preposterous as this one, where my options are between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. It’s an embarassment to our country that out of 300+ million people, these are the two candidates we have elected to represent us and choose betweeen. In my first time voting, I have to stand behind a candidate I do not believe in and who I do not trust. I have to vote for the lesser of two evils or a third party candidate to spite it all, rather than for an individual who I whole heartedly feel will defend my civil liberties and instigate meaningful change. It is my first time ever voting as an American, and I am absolutely dreading Tuesday, Nov. 8.

But I’m still going to vote… And you should too.

If you’re a millennial who is not enthusiastic about either candidate and is terrfied by the direction that our country is heading in, I know what you’re going through. I, an independent voter, know what it feels like to realize that no matter who wins, your country is going to elect an individual who is not suited to be the leader of the free world. I understand how disappointed in your country you must be, because I am too. I know how scared you likely feel for our economy and for our national security. I’m right there with you.

I’m sure that every time you turn on the news you cringe – the media is so biased that you don’t know what to believe. You feel lost, you feel upset and you dread the fact that after years of waiting and waiting for the day where your citizenship and patriotism would finally be acknowledged, your country is letting you down. The system has produced two unworthy candidates and has failed a free-thinking American such as yourself. People say that as a millennial, you don’t know anything about the election, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. On the contrary, you know too much, far more than you would like too. Perhaps it would be easier to embrace ignorance rather than internalize the fact that some way, some how, this is where we are at as a country, and the next four years are going to be one rocky roller coaster ride.

But vote anyway.

If you’re reading this article and disagree with everything I am saying because you passionately stand behind a candidate that I am critizing, fine. That is your right, and I completely respect it. But if you’re still with me and you feel completely hopeless and confused, still vote. It doesn’t even matter who you vote for, just vote! If you want to vote for a third party candidate in the form of protest, go for it. Just show up on Election Day and make your voice heard, no matter what it is that you are saying, no matter what point you are trying to prove, despite what the message may be that you are trying to get across, because people have died so that you can exercise this very right on this very day.

Men perished heroically in battle so that we could become our own country independent from King George’s tyrinnical British rule and create our unique laws and regulations. Patriot blood was spilled so men could vote, and years later, strong, brave, and powerful women fought fervently against the societal norms so that women too would have the opportunity to exercise this special right. To not vote would be to flip the middle finger at every American who came before you that gave their life to a cause greater than themselves, who sacrificed everything, including their own lives, so that generations after them could enjoy a life and luxury they themselves would never get to experience. So if not for yourself, vote for them. Vote to show them that you are still in the game. Vote to prove to them and to yourself that you still have hope for the future of America.

This is not the end. This might be a major roadblock, hell it might even be rock bottom, but this is not where America’s story ends. Let this be a huge eye-opener. Let this be the alarm that we have snoozed for years on end finally waking us up, blaring in our ears, reminding us that it is time to stand up because we have work to do, and we are not at this place as a country for no reason. We must take responsibility, hold ourselves accountable and dig ourselves out of the hole we have sunk into. So whatever you do, whoever you’re supporting, no matter how low you feel, vote. Vote and pray that we have the courage to overcome – after all, it is the American way. Perserverence runs deep within our veins, and we will see a better day. It may not be Nov. 8, but it will come tomorrow, and America will carry on just as we always have.