2017 Oscars Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

As always, the 2017 Oscars were full of laughter, tears and some rather uncomfortable moments. Here are all of the highlights, fails and politics this year’s Oscar’s blessed us with. (Yes, including the Steve Harvey-esque fail.)

1. Just the fact that Taraji P. Henson and Amy Adams weren’t nominated for best actress was a fail itself.

2. Jimmy Kimmel’s uncomfortable opening speech during which he made fun of everyone for way too long.

3. Kimmel’s iconic line, “I want to say thank you to President Trump. Remember last year when it seemed like the Oscar’s were racist?”

4. Kimmel poking even more fun at Trump; specifically, his tweet calling Meryl Streep “highly overrated” by devoting several minutes satirizing Streep’s so-called overrated-ness.

5. When Suicide Squad somehow won best makeup versus Star Trek. That was the biggest fail of the night in my mind (besides the cringeworthy mix-up of course).

6. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them won for best Costume Design, and our Harry Potter-loving hearts soared once again (also Colleen Atwood’s children’s reactions were absolutely precious).

7. Ezra Edelman, winner of best feature documentary for OJ: Made in America had a very beautiful (and political) speech that he dedicated to all victims of police brutality.

8. Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae shared the stage with Katherine Johnson, the woman Hidden Figures is centered around.

9. Auli’i Cravalho sang “How Far I’ll Go,” and everyone just about died from jealousy. I mean, this girl is performing flawlessly at the Oscars. Meanwhile, when I was 16, I could barely get out of bed in the morning.

10. All of the A-list actors’ and actresses’ excited faces as candy drifted down from the ceiling in little parachutes.

11. Kevin O’Connell won his first Oscar for best sound editing besides having more nominations than Meryl Streep.

12. Before Mark Rylan announced the winner for Best Supporting Actress, he took a moment to state that “women are better at opposing without hatred,” a non-so-subtle shout-out to the women’s march.

13. Viola Davis, a goddess on earth, won her first Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, and we all cried at her incredibly moving acceptance speech.

14. Meryl Streep eating Junior Mints. That is all.

15. The winner of Best Foreign Film, Asghar Farhadi, boycotted the Oscars and had his wife accept in his name to respect his fellow Iranians who are banned from entering the country.

16. Gael Garcia took a moment while presenting best animated feature film to be political, saying, “As a Mexican, as a migrant worker, as a human being, I’m against any form of wall that separates us.”

17. Zootopia won best animated feature film, and directors Byron Howard and Rich Moore took a moment to acknowledge the film’s anti-discrimination message to say that tolerance is stronger than fear of the other.

18. Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen got to acknowledge their inspirations Shirley Maclaine and Michael J. Fox (not to mention that the stage was graced with not only Fox but also the Delorean and future shoes).

19. The White Helmets won best Documentary Short and director Orlando Von Einsiedel reminded the crowd of the Syrians struggle, especially with Trump’s ban.

20. When Jimmy Kimmel brought tourists into the Oscars and they were all of us, especially the lady who was in shock when Ryan Gosling kissed her on the cheek.

21. Speaking of the tourists, they were all on their phones filming, so Keith Urban took out his phone to film them.

22. Jimmy Kimmel tweeting, “hey @realdonaldtrump u up? Meryl says hi.”

23. Sunny Pawar lighting up everyone’s lives with his utter cuteness, especially when he and Jimmy Kimmel reenacted The Lion King.

24. John Legend’s epic La La Land performance in which everyone shed a single tear.

25. Jimmy Kimmel and Matt Damon’s bromance.

26. When Moonlight won for Best Screenplay and writers Berry Jenkins and Tarell McCraney had a moving speech that adds some light in what is a dark time for some. Jenkins stated, “And all you people out there who feel like there’s no mirror for you, that your life is not reflected, the academy has your back, the ACLU has your back, we have your back and over the next four years we will not leave you alone. We will not forget you.”

27. Octavia Spencer’s face when it rained cookies and donuts was all of us.

28. Damien Chazelle being the youngest person ever to win Best Director (and his wife giving us #relationshipgoals).

29. Emma Stone getting her breath taken away when she won Best Actress for La La Land.

30. Lastly, the entire scandal when La La Land thought they won Best Feature Film and then had to awkwardly shuffle aside for the real winners, Moonlight to take the stage. I’m going to have nightmares about this for weeks.

I love all things traveling, books, movies and adventuring!