Why We Should Always Listen To Our Inner Childhood Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Last week I was walking to class and noticed a local elementry school playing in the quad. Besides the fact that each kid was wearing an adorably bright yellow shirt with their school name on it, I was immediately drawn into the cuteness of the first grade class. I decided that it wouldn’t be the worst thing if I skipped grabbing a coffee before class and instead, relived my days of recess and watched the six-year-olds play.

It was at that moment that I realized little girls have always known how to handle the cute boys in their class. I watched a little girl be chased around by a boy running from a bench to a tree and then back. After about five times, the little girl turned around and screamed to the boy, “Are you going to chase me all day or are you going to ask me to be your boyfriend?!”

I was so shocked at what I heard, I had to stop and write down the words in my phone because I knew no one would believe what I heard.

The boy then turned to her, picked grass up from the ground and threw it at her as he shouted, “EW! Girls like you have cooties!” and ran away. The girl, left alone at the bench, dropped her mouth wide open and then ran to the group of girls on the other side of the quad. It occurred to me right there, that while I was unable to hear what the girl was saying to her friends, she was most likely retelling the events that had just taken place.

While this story is very cute, it leads me to my point that we should always listen to our little girl self, and when we see a guy we like – tell them. What good does it do for us to run around and chase or be chased by the men who don’t want us? All that we will be left with is a game that sooner or later, we will get tired of playing.  What causes us to lose our fire and chase a guy who may never make us stop running?

It is time to approach boys the way we would when we were six and playing on a grass filled field, if you like someone – tell them! Scream it out loud and be proud because maybe, just maybe, they will like you too. And if they decide to throw grass at you, at least you will know that you no longer need to run after them.

I came across a video yesterday that has taken the world by storm of two little girls and a boy fighting. The boy, adamantly believed it was sprinkling while the girl was positive that it was raining. The video ends with the girl shoving the boy and him saying through tears, “you poked my heart.” Admittedly, the video made me shed a tear, the girl did not concede to the boy’s opinion or stand back. So the next time you find yourself in an argument with a guy, remember your little girl self and do not back down (but try not to make him cry).

Carleigh Barnett is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill and is majoring in Journalism. She specifically hopes to have a career in entertainment Public Relations. From New York to North Carolina, she loves watching TV (especiall dramas that are filled with gossip), staying connected with the world of entertianment and enjoying days filled with Netflix and Sour Patck Kids.