Seven Must-Haves for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1.    Leggings

Leggings are pretty much a must-have every single year. They are a girl’s best friend and cute black ones go with almost everything. Make sure to stock up on a pair for every day of the week. To jazz up an outfit, try to find colored leggings or ones with a cute, funky pattern!

2.    Black booties

They don’t necessarily have to be black, but who doesn’t love black? Booties are a great way to make a fashion statement and they can be worn with leggings, jeans, a dress or a skirt. Booties are a perfect way to bring in fall and they don’t take up much space in your dorm closet!

3.    Leather Jacket

A leather jacket is a great way to make an outfit pop or to cover up on a night you hit up all the hottest parties. It’s the cherry on top of a wonderful fall clothes sundae. One hint on getting a leather jacket is to buy it in the store. Ordering it online is ok, but you need to make sure the material is up to par. It’s easy to get cheap leather that will scuff and deteriorate quickly. Besides, who wants to pay shipping and handling costs? Not me.

4.    Boyfriend Jeans

No boyfriend? No problem. Instead, invest in a pair of boyfriend jeans! The loose fit would go great with most boots and that cute cardigan you’ve been keeping in the back of your closet since spring. Plus, they go great with belts! Who said you need a boyfriend to look cute?

5.    Long Coat

A long coat leaves a broad array of different kinds of coats. However, I’m thinking more along the lines of an Olivia Pope-esque coat. You know, the ones she wears while strutting down the streets of DC? That’s definitely worthy of spending a few extra bucks. Find one that fits your size or goes well with a cute belt. It’ll keep you warm and make you look like you just stepped out of the White House.

6.    Sweater Dress

For those women who love wearing dresses until the first snowflake falls, this is definitely for you. Sweater dresses come in many colors and they are very comfortable. It’s a perfect way to continue showing off those killer summer legs, but staying warm in the process. They can easily be paired with those cute booties mentioned above.

7.    Vest

Vests come in extremely clutch when the fall is turning from cool to cold. They offer warmth and go great with long sleeve button-ups. Flannel shirts look adorable underneath these vests, but you could also pair it with a long sleeve t-shirt for those “bummy” days.

With all the article of clothing choices you have, it’s easy to convert your wardrobe from summer to fall. Just because it’s getting colder doesn’t mean your outfit choices can only consist of sweatshirts and jeans. There’s plenty of viable options to make the fall a knockout fashion season!

Morgan Newell

Chapel Hill

My name is Morgan Alexis Newell. I am a sophomore at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where I am a broadcast journalism major. Before UNC-CH, I went to Arendell Parrott Academy for my high school career. I am originally from New York, New York and White Plains, New York. I now live in Chapel Hill, NC and my hometown is Greenville, NC.
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.