A Recap of the Best Week of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

For those of you who have been hiding under a rock (or just busy with finals prep), this past week has been filled with major sports moments. Many sports fans, including myself, consider this week one of the best weeks of the year. To put into context just how important this week is to some, my dad took a week of “spring vacation” just so that he wouldn’t miss a minute of magic. The week was filled with the NCAA basketball championship, opening day for major league baseball and the Masters golf tournament. Since not all of us could take a week of vacation for what should be a national holiday, here is a recap of the week just in case you missed it.

NCAA Basketball Championship

I am not going to spend too much time on this one because #dooksucks. That being said, the Duke University Blue Devils beat the Wisconsin Badgers in the national championship game on Monday night. All bias aside, Duke had an outstanding season with Coach K reaching his 1,000th win earlier in the year. Even though this win was a heartbreak to many, us Tar Heels can take solace knowing that the ACC is still the best basketball conference in the country. Maybe next year UNC will win the big dance and Duke’s starting lineup will get a new haircut.

*Sheds a tear*

Opening Day

Opening day for MLB Baseball was also Monday and brought me a lot more joy as I am an Atlanta Braves fan. The Braves swept the Miami Marlins in their first series in Florida. In other baseball news, the Red Sox won two of three games in their series against the Phillies, as did the Yankees in their series against the Blue Jays and the Giants against the Diamondbacks. For those of you who could care less about who wins and just go to the games for those boys in those pants, the beautiful weather and perfect photo-ops, this week was a beautiful week to sit at a game with all your besties. Local baseball even tore it up this week, UNC beat Coastal Carolina, Liberty, and won 2 out of 3 games against NC State this week.

*swoons*

*you’re welcome*

The Masters

There is just something about spending your weekend laying on the couch half watching golf, half listening to men with British accents talk about things you barely understand, and half napping all at the same time. Although nothing beats spending this weekend with your old man, some years calling him every hour to talk about updates will just have to do (at least that’s how I spent my weekend). This year a green jacket was earned by Jordan Speith, a young 21 years old. The tournament was not a gut wrencher, as Speith led the entire four days. Speith is the second youngest to ever win The Masters, next to Tiger Woods. Also like Woods, Speith won the tournament with an impressive -18, the lowest score ever at the Masters. Speith not only matched records but set one of his own; he set the record for most birdies ever at The Masters. I think it safe to say that we can expect a lot from Jordan Speith as he continues in his career.

*I still love Bubba*