The Most Wonderful Time of the Year: LDOC 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you ain’t runnin’ with it, run from it

Gird your loins, people. The best holiday of the year is upon us.

Forget for a moment what you think you know about holidays.  Sure, you probably like Christmas, because who doesn’t enjoy a good gift-giving holiday? Or maybe Thanksgiving if you’re into food and family and naps and football. Halloween, you say? I respect that and I also enjoy binge eating candy and wearing glitter all over my body.

All these days are nice, respectable celebrations. All wear their own hat. All deserve a nice round of applause. But, please, hold your standing ovation for the King of all the 365 days: L.D.O.C. (Read that as if I am singing it at the top of my lungs through a megaphone from the highest point in the bell tower with a chorus of angels harmonizing in the background).

To kick this thing off, I wrote an acrostic poem about the Last Day of Class because we are romantically involved. Consider this your mantra for Friday, April 24.

L Leave your worries behind

D Drink everything you find

O Of exams, we don’t speak

C  Carry on without the weak

Now let me say that in English: class is over, there’s a lot of free alcohol in the area, exams haven’t started yet (so please don’t use the F word…finals), and sadly a lot of your friends are going to tap out pretty early in the day BUT YOU MUST PERSEVERE WITHOUT THEM.

What follows is a completely unstructured dialogue of tips for surviving L.D.O.C. from unidentified contributors (my friends) (are psycho).

H: The key to a successful LDOC is hydration. And by hydration I mean drinking any and all alcohol you can get your hands on.

A: Remember to pack all your essentials for transforming your look from day-ready to night-ready. And also be aware you will lose everything, forget to redo your makeup at all, and end up sobbing in a frat bathroom.

S: Wait, why are you telling them not to talk about final exams? This is THE final exam. The ultimate test to show off the tolerance you’ve been working on all semester.

L: Make sure to pace yourself and eat meals! Just kidding, beer is fine. Beer has calories. Beer is food.

C: Am I allowed to say pack a mimosa for class? Okay, fine, pack a mimosa for “AFTER” class.

S: Ah, LDOC. One last chance to get Frat Ratchet as an upperclassman.  

H: Only two weeks stand between you and summer, so you might as well go ahead and celebrate. #mama #wemadeit

I will conclude by saying that I find all of the above inadvisable and irresponsible.

I will also conclude by saying I will be participating in every possible way. Best of luck to everyone. Hope to see you on the LDOC playground so we can get “Frat Ratchet” together.

Sydney is a Public Relations major in UNC Chapel Hill's Journalism school. With two minors, most of her schedule is occupied by class, work and a position as co-president of women's water polo. She occupies her free time by fulfilling a healthy interest in fitness and an unhealthy interest in shopping.