LocoDisco: The Startup that will Save you Time and Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With the vast amount of options that Franklin Street provides, from restaurants to bars to music halls, it’s easy for students to become so overwhelmed that they fall back into the same handful of places.  Once you finally get up the courage to try a new place, you never know what kind of prices or promotions you’re walking into; and no one has the time to research every restaurant to see which one matches exactly what they’re looking for.  LocoDisco, a local startup, is aiming to solve that problem in the Triangle Area. 

This online business is a website that compiles local discounts and puts them all on one platform for users to access.  Users are able to search by whatever they’re looking for, from ‘#lunch-special’ to ‘#happy-hour’ to ‘#live-music,’ and a list appears of daily specials for businesses in their radius. 

“Being able to get an inside scoop on what the local discounts are on Franklin Street, without having to physically go inside every restaurant to see which one has the better bang for your buck, is just simply incredible,” said Alma Islas Romero, a LocoDisco intern and UNC-Chapel Hill student.

An added bonus: the site tells you exactly what time each promotion begins and ends, so you’ll never again miss the cut-off time for those bottomless mimosas!  And to make it even better, users can adjust their location and radius based on how far they’re willing to travel.

“LocoDisco has made me aware of so many discounts I had no idea even existed,” said Paige Schaefer, LocoDisco’s marketing associate.  “It’s such a helpful resource for college students to save money.”

Because LocoDisco is relatively new and is still working on its website, it is currently focusing on the areas around the UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State University.  However, they hope to expand to the entire triangle area in a short amount of time, and have dreams of eventually growing the company nationally.  Once the website is complete, it will not only include promotions for restaurants and bars, but for local businesses of every kind, from home repair to entertainment.  And for all of us cell phone addicts, don’t fret!  Their to-do list includes an application for mobile devices in the very near future.

“It will be exciting to see how LocoDisco will grow and evolve as we get more users and start getting their feedback,” said intern Susie Mirabedini.

For more information on LocoDisco, visit their website at locodisco.com or check them out on Facebook.  You can also follow their Twitter at @golocodisco for updates about great promotions near you.  In the meantime, I’ll be searching the site for the best karaoke spot in town!

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.