A Guide to Going Home for Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In my opinion, Fall Break is simply a glorified four day weekend. In these four days, many find the opportunity to travel to really cool places. Some go to the mountains, some go to New York, some go to the beach. While all that sounds really fun, some of us just find ourselves going home for the weekend for some much needed rest and relaxation after midterm week. I felt like it was appropriate for me to share my guide to going home on Fall Break because there are some things you just don’t want to miss out on.

Go to a High School Football Game. No, it will not be anything like game day in Chapel Hill and it will be nothing like you remembered high school football games to be. However, the crisp fall air and those friday night lights are something you can’t beat.

Have a Bonfire. Bonfires are something that don’t often happen in a place where the yards are the size of a small car and are probably covered with them too. So, since you’re back home with a little more room to play, sit in your backyard and roast marshmallows and make s’mores while the smell of the fire slowly seeps into your clothes.

Eat a Home-Cooked Meal. Even if you are one of those rare college students who cooks meals other than spaghettios and ramen, nothing will beat your mom’s cooking. Take advantage of being home and request your favorite meal for family dinner and enjoy.

Go to Bed at 10 pm. FOMO does not exist while you are in the comfort of your own home where nothing is tempting you to go out or stay up and watch one more episode of Scandal with your roommates. So, go to bed as early as you please and catch up on that sleep that you haven’t gotten in two months.

Go Pick a Pumpkin. This one is a must. Pumpkin picking is a Fall essential but it’s a little tough to do as a college student. Where do you put it in your dorm or your apartment with no front porch? When is it appropriate to throw the pumpkin away? What do I do when it starts to cave in on itself? Pick a pumpkin at home and put it on your front porch because your mom knows exactly when to throw it away. While you’re at it, embrace your inner child and carve a silly face in that pumpkin too.

See, going home for Fall Break is pretty simple and can be a lot of fun. So embrace your lack of Fall Break plans, go home to your family and appreciate the time away from the busy college schedule!