Campus Celeb: Joey Skavroneck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you’ve ever found yourself stuck on Franklin at 2am with no P2P in sight, then you might want to acquaint yourself with Joey Skavroneck and his Buzz Rides. Inspired by the open air taxis in India, Joey and his business partner Parker Draughon set out to bring the “Tuk Tuks” to UNC. As a sophomore business major, Joey has already studied abroad, joined multiple on campus organizations, and started his own business. Needles to say, Joey is a guy making big moves. Although he’s originally from New Jersey, Joey is already leaving his Heel Print all around the world.

HC: So, you’re definitely thriving at UNC, what do you love about your school?

JS: I love my experience at Carolina. You can’t find a better mix between academics and social life. I couldn’t even imagine going anywhere else.

HC: I know you’re a business major, what do you want to do with that?

JS: Well right now I’m just going where life takes me. I really love entrepreneurship, but after graduation I can see myself in sports marketing for a fortune 500 company or a global company. For right now I’m just going to see where buzz rides takes me over the next few years.

HC: Tell me about where this business idea came from.

JS: Over the summer my business partner Parker Draughon and I went to India with the Business School.  While we were there we studied business management and operations. I loved the experience. We got the idea for Buzz Rides while riding around on open air taxis called Tuk Tuks. Riding on the Tuk Tuks was exhilarating. I didn’t really think anything of it while I was in India but when I came back to the states I started looking stuff up online and said we can do this.

HC: So how will it work exactly?

JS: It’ll be a transportation service for students. It runs Tuesday through Saturday from 9 pm to 2:30 am. We will also provide service for football and basketball games. The cars are open aired and 100 percent electric vehicles. We also give different businesses the opportunity to market to the college age students who use our vehicles. The cars are wrapped in business ads, one business per vehicle. The businesses can also advertise on the inside of the vehicles by providing samples, brochures, and giveaways. Vehicles have music and seat belts for safety.

We charge three dollars per ride and only accept credit cards. Vehicles travel up and down Franklin and people will flag us down like a taxi. We can also take larger parties (four or more) if they call us in advance. Our cars travel in what’s called the Buzz Zone. We go from residence halls and all on campus locations to Franklin Street and some of the main off campus apartments.

HC: I know you have your hands full with Buzz Rides and schoolwork, but when you do have some free time what do you like to do?

JS: For the most part I love to hang out with my friends. I love playing basketball and watching Carolina sports. I’m a member of ATO Fraternity. I am also involved in FBLA and Student Government.

HC: What advice would you give to someone who wants to start his or her own business?

JS: As far as starting a business I’d say just do it. A lot of people have great ideas and worry about how to make their ideas become a successful reality. But when it comes down to it its execution. Just find a need or find something that no one else wants to do and then do it.

Buzz Rides will launch this Tuesday September 3rd. If you’d like to get more information on Buzz Rides check them out!

Website: buzzrides.com

Twitter: @BuzzRidesUNC

Facebook: www.facebook.com/BuzzRides

Instagram: BuzzRides

Paige Hopkins

Chapel Hill

Paige Hopkins is a sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill from Charlotte, North Carolina. Paige is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor as well as the treasurer for the UNC chapter. She is a journalism major with a focus on reporting. She is interested in print journalism as well as broadcast. Paige loves all things fashion and beauty; she spends her free time reading magazines, writing for the arts desk for her school paper and online shopping. She also plays volleyball and enjoys watching sports, especially when the Heels are playing.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.