The 9 Best Things About Living in North Carolina, In the Eyes of a Northerner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’ll be honest and say my transition to the south was not ideal. Coming from Long Island, N.Y., I didn’t understand why everyone was walking so slow or really what anyone was saying to me. I got asked to say “coffee” or “dog” more times than I got asked my name once people found out I wasn’t from around here. Fortunately, I now accept and enjoy my southern living. Here are the nine best things about living in NC.

1.     Biscuits. It took me quite a few years after moving here to finally venture to Bojangle’s because I felt as soon as I started eating Bojangle’s I essentially had to turn over my Northerner card. Let me tell you, that was a BIG MISTAKE. Warm, flaky biscuits and Cajun seasoning give me life. There’s not much of an equivalent in New York and it’s sad.

2.     Basketball. I’m not sure there’s anywhere else in the country that has a rivalry like we have with Duke, plus another minor rival right down the road. Though NC State isn’t the greatest team right now, record wise, we have three great programs all within a few miles of each other. The intensity can’t be beat.

3.     Tailgating. Game day is basically a holiday. Wake up, drank. Everyone gets together, eats food, and cheers on their favorite team. Add in a little cornhole and the day is complete. And what a day well spent it is.

4.     Weather. Yes, North Carolina weather is pretty temperamental and yes, it can be annoying. Chilly and 45 degrees one day to 75 and sunny the next. Though, when compared to the eternal winter of the north, the south is like a tropical sauna.

5.     Chick-fil-a. It deserves its own category and I don’t even feel the need to elaborate. I feel the same way about Cook-Out. And yes, fast food is important.

6.     The accessibility of both the beach and mountains. Between the Appalachian Mountains and the countless beaches in North Carolina, there’s no reason to ever leave. Everything we could ever want is right at our fingertips. The beaches in the North are rocky and the water is cold, but in North Carolina it’s just blue skies and sand.

7.     Education. This has to be included considering us Tar Heels go to the first public university in the country. So basically, North Carolina is the best because UNC is here. But including UNC-CH, the UNC school system has 16 other great schools.

8.     Carolina Panthers. Sure, they haven’t always been good, but look at them now. North Carolina has real-life superman Cam Newton and he keeps things fun. *dabs*

9.     Cities. Charlotte is no New York City, and neither is Raleigh. However, between Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, Boone, Wilmington, and Chapel Hill, there are a lot of different vibes going on. Sure, Boone and Asheville are pretty small, but there’s a place for every personality.

North Carolina is a great place to live and it is even better as a Tar Heel.