5 Things Someone Should Have Told Me About Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1. Set up a Venmo/Paypal/online bank transfer before you leave the States (or bring a checkbook)

Spending St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin was awesome. Finding a way to repay someone in USD without having a way to transfer funds to their bank account? Not so awesome. Before you study abroad, make sure you set up a Venmo or have some way of paying your friends back for the concert tickets, hostel stays and other outings you’re bound to plan. Some of these American-based companies require American telephone numbers, and if you’ve deactivated the number you’ve had since the 8th grade, you’ll be out of luck when trying to sign up or confirm your identity online. If you bring a checkbook and have online banking set up on your phone, this is also an easy way to put funds back into your account (or into someone else’s).

2. Forget about posting on social media for a week at a time

When I first arrived to London, I was so overwhelmed by the differences between Britain and the States that I forgot about all my social media accounts. But as time went on, it turned out to be a good thing. Between uploading a photo to Instagram, capturing the seconds with Snapchat, updating statuses on Facebook and tweeting out thoughts on Twitter, I couldn’t keep up! Social media is awesome, but don’t worry about taking a photo of every cool thing you see. You’ll end up saving space on your cell phone memory, anyways.

3. Sure, you’re busy, but find a way to share your experience with your loved ones

So many of my fellow study abroad mates started blogs to document their journey across the pond. Why? Because it is an awesome way for your friends and family to see what you are doing in another country! Sending postcards at infrequent intervals also shows your loved ones how much you care. Snail mail, while not as fast, is always nice to receive.

4. Find a way to stay physically fit — even if you don’t join a gym

Okay, I’m guilty. I neglected every workout I’ve ever tried in my life these last four months. However, I have few qualms as I walked everywhere (when I didn’t take the awesome transportation system, that is). If you know you’re not going to discipline yourself enough to go to the gym or run regularly, make sure you make up for the lack of exercise in other areas (i.e., skip that short bus ride and walk instead). It’ll probably end up saving you money, too!

5. Create your own tradition  

When I first arrived to London, I didn’t know what to do with my free time. However, once I became more comfortable with my new surroundings, I decided to create “Theatre Thursdays.” Each week, I planned to see a performance, a play or a musical. Most of my theatre visits took place on a Thursday, but it really just depended on what else was going on that week. Over the ten weeks I was abroad, I saw 5 musicals, 4 plays, and a ballet! I also went to the Nicki Minaj concert at the 02 — it’s still a performance! I’ve learned that it’s really important to create a tradition for yourself and to try things where you can’t replicate your experience at home. For me, “Theatre Thursdays” gave me just that.

Studying abroad can be an awesome experience, but what do you wish someone had told you before you left? Tell us in the comments below!

Elise McGlothian is a Junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She plans to graduate in 2016 with a degree in Broadcast Electronic Journalism. Since starting her collegiate life, Elise has decided to pursue a career a Television and Entertainment Producer so she can spread messages of self-respect, share the hardships and triumphs of others and become a resource to all.