This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Are you currently unhappy at the university you attend and sometimes feel like you made the wrong choice? This is an experience I know all too well. After spending over a year at my PWI, I realized how unhappy I was and knew the university was not a good fit for me. Making the transition from one college to another can seem very overwhelming and at times stressful, so if you find yourself unhappy at your university and you’re ready to make the transition from one school to another, I have 6 important do’s and dont’s that will ensure your transition from one school to the next goes as smooth as possible.

1. Do: Research as much as possible

While going through the transfer process the most important thing you’re going to do is look up information pertaining to the schools you are interested in. Make sure you look up all of the requirements that the school you’re transferring to has because every university is different.

2. Do: Get involved

Transferring from one university to another can seem very nerve-racking at first, but it’s important to get involved as much as possible. Join organizations and go to school events! Getting involved is a great way to meet new people and build up your resume.

3. Do: Live on campus

If you’ve lived on campus before, I know the last thing you’ll want to do is live in those tiny, crammed up closets universities call dorms. Trust me, living on campus or in student housing when you’ve just transferred to your new school is a great way to get acclimated to the new environment and meet people.

4. Don’t: Blow off class

One of the most frustrating things about being a transfer student or transferring to a university in the middle of the semester is having to take those awful 8 am and 9 am classes because they’re the only classes available. I know there will be days when you just want to sleep in and skip but it’s Important to go to every class, so you don’t fall behind, especially since you just transferred to your new university and your new school will most likely have very different policies than the school you just transferred from. 

5. Don’t: Do things last minute

Another irritating thing that comes with the transfer process is staying on top of deadlines. Make sure you submit everything your new school requires in a timely manner, so you’re not rushing to get things done. If you’re not good at staying on top of dates, make a calender so you’ll have every deadline written down.

6. Don’t: Give up

Transferring schools can seem like a very drawn out process. Having to deal with course evaluations, housing applications and spending endless hours at a time on hold with financial aid, there were days when I wanted to give up due to all of the endless work I had to do. There’s a lot of hard work that goes into transferring schools. Don’t give up just because you might feel like nothing is getting done. If you stay focused and motivated everything will work out.

Photo credits: Tenor, Batamtp, Giphy,Ajbubb,Cor

Hi! I'm Ceriah Richard. I'm a Mass Media Arts major at The Illustrious Clark Atlanta university from Cincinnati, Ohio.