This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, Ravyn Lenae is an upcoming artist taking the world by storm. It’s hard not to notice Lenae. Everything about her is distinguished and finely tuned, from her signature burgundy-red hair to her angelic voice. Lenae is a young artist, only nineteen and freshly out of high school, but that has not stopped her from pursuing her musical career. In 2015, she released her first EP Moon Shoes on her own! After signing to Atlantic records, Moon Shoes was reissued in 2016, and Midnight Moonlight was released in 2017. Since then, Lenae has performed at countless festivals and at different Chicago hotspots which includes; The House of Blues. Her popularity and smooth demeanor gave her the opportunity to tour with her fellow Chicago native, Noname as well as R&B star SZA on her Ctrl Tour.

Her path of success has not stopped there as she just released her third EP Crush. This EP is also accompanied by an international tour of her own in which tickets are available, here. Ravyn Lenae is an R&B, neo-soul queen. Crush gives you strong 70’s soulful vibes that make you want to “[get] your edges on tight [and] party tonight”. Most people would not expect a five-song EP to flow so well and be so catchy but Ms. Lenae did not come to play. Her vintage aesthetic is strong throughout each of the songs. The themes of the album focus on young love in the aspects of crushing (hence the EP name) and the emotions that follow that initial feeling of a new crush. This EP, like her previous two, speak to the softer sides of people which is not too common coming from a Chicago artist.     Being from Chicago, the first time I took note of Ravyn Lenae was at an art show thrown by Chicago youth group KYF (Keep Ya Funds). The goal of their shows was to point out all Chicago had to offer outside of the negative stigmas associated with the tough city. Chicago is a city most notable for producing drill/rap artists such as Chief Keef, Lil Bibby, G Herbo and more. We are therefore known as a city of extreme gun violence, gang activity, and struggle. While that does represent the cruel reality of the city, it is not all we are or all we have to offer. These artists tell stories of harsh life endeavors. They are also the more famous/noted artists we produce, therefore they reflect what we are to the outside world. Ravyn Lenae, like Chance The Rapper and Noname make up the breath of fresh air Chicago needs. Her artistry shows a different side of what makes it out of Chicago. People do not think Chicago and think of the soft smoothness of neo-soul. As Lenae embarks on her journey of success she will be able to provide a new perspective on what the city is and what it produces. Soul Sista Ravyn Lenae is up next and if you have not heard it anywhere else, you heard it here first. Get in tune.

Miranda is a Junior Mass Media Arts Major Print Journalism Concentration at the illustrious Clark Atlanta University. Hailing from Chicago, IL, Miranda is looking to write for the politically conscious, fashion-forward, and everyone in between. Feel free to connect with her via social media as well as through LinkedIn!