Happy Five Year Anniversary To Acid Rap:Chance The Rappers Sophomore Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

April 30th, 2013 up and comer Chicago artist Chancelor Bennett better known as  Chance the Rapper released his sophomore mixtape Acid Rap. If you were unsure about how his mixtape got its title lets just say chance was under the influence of a couple of different things including acid.While recording Acid Rap chance has stated in many interviews that acid among a few other drugs played a big role in creating his sophomore mixtape. After his first successful mixtape release “10 day” a tape he created after a 10-day suspension from his high school.

Chance took his time to create another musical masterpiece. This mixtape alone brought his music mainstream and he was no longer known as just another Soundcloud rapper. With features from Vic Mensa, Ab-soul, Childish Gambino and Action Bronson and others chance solidified his place in hip-hop and have been making amazing music since. After realizing it’s been five years since the successful release of Acid Rap I began to think about when I first found his music. I believe I discovered chance the rapper around my sophomore year of high school and I’ve been hooked since. The lyrics in each song I heard spoke to me and his music sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. I mean I could go on and on about just how much I love chance the rapper’s music but since this is a celebration about one particular release I’ll just share some of my favorite songs from Acid Rap.

“Cocoa butter kisses” ft Vic Mensa and Twista is probably one of my favorite songs chance has ever made. It makes me think about the times when I was little and my mom would give me kisses when I would scrape my knee. This song reminds me of the innocence we all have when we are young and once we begin to grow up and see the world we realize how much we miss the days when we had no worries and responsibilities. My next favorite song “juice” is a must-have in any playlist I make. Whenever I’m sad I listen to this song and I instantly feel like I’m the best to ever do it. This song can make anyone feel like they’re the coolest person in the world. With songs like “lost” and “favorite song” chance the rapper showed the world just how versatile he is and solidified his place in the music industry. Since the release of Acid Rap, he’s successfully remained an independent artist has won three Grammys and continues to release music that has everyone dancing and talking about his art. If you’ve never listened to any of his music I suggest you start off with the songs I’ve mentioned and then listen to his recent releases to really appreciate his artistry and amazing music.

Hi! I'm Ceriah Richard. I'm a Mass Media Arts major at The Illustrious Clark Atlanta university from Cincinnati, Ohio.