8 Questions to Ask During Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Interviews are more than just the company and the interviewer seeing if you’re a right fit for the job. You are also looking to see if that organization and job is the right fit for YOU. Asking questions during an interview is essential. Don’t know what to ask? Whether it’s for an internship with your dream company or a job at the local grocery, here are some general questions to ask during your interview:

1. What can you tell me about this job that isn’t in the description? Job descriptions aren’t always as detailed as we’d like them to be but this question will hopefully give you a better insight on what to expect.

2. What is the most/least rewarding aspect of your job? This gives you a chance to hear what people think about the company they work for, their position, etc. which should in turn help you decide if what you’re looking for out of a job aligns with their response.

3. What is the most common career path? You don’t want a job that you’re going to be stuck in for years or that doesn’t give you an opportunity to grow and enhance your skills. Make sure the position you are interviewing for aligns with the goals you have for yourself and your future.

4. What are the most important factors used when hiring? If there are multiple interviews in the hiring process, use the interviewers answer to cater to what you say in your next round of interviews.

5. What is the best educational preparation for a career in this field? This is super important if you’re interviewing for an internship and are considering a full time position after graduation. Of course take the required classes needed to graduate but use your open electives to take classes that align with what the recruiter/interviewer recommended for your career field.

6. What do you (the organization, the manager, etc.) expect out of your employees? What skills make your employees successful in this position? I like to ask the expectations of the manager and what they are looking for out of their employees. I then ask them what it takes to meet and exceed those expectations. Plus you want to stay away from those managers with out of this world expectations.

7. How long have you been working for the company and what has made you stay? This question is so cliché and interviewers get it all the time so switch it up a bit and put an emphasis on the “why?”

8. What are the next steps in your process? Do NOT ask this question if they have gone over this with you during the interview already. If not, take a mental note so that you know how to prepare and what your next steps will be.

**DON’T FORGET! Before your interview ALWAYS research the company and come prepared with at least THREE questions to ask the recruiter/interviewer at the end. 

Taylor Farmon is a junior attending Clark Atlanta University from Sacramento, CA. Majoring in marketing, Taylor plans to use her degree in a major fahsion and/or retail corporation.