diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips on How To Be Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

For some of us, the idea of being alone can be something that causes a lot of misery and anxiety. Once we become used to constantly having a certain someone in our lives, their sudden absence can be something that takes a toll on us. As a result of this loneliness, our actions can sometimes lead us to seek out or accept anything that seems capable of filling that void. This can sometimes lead us into an even more damaging position than before. Instead of giving into that dire need of having someone around, you should use that time to heal, love yourself, and grow into a better version of you. I know it’s easier said than done, but here are a few suggestions to help you in your journey.

1. Accept the past. Understand that whatever has happened in your life has happened. Accept the fact that nothing in the past can be changed. Take the experiences and all the pain from your past, transform them into lessons, and apply them to your life now. 

2. Take advantage of the change. Ok, you’re alone now, but don’t think of it like that. Think of it as a start of something new. Use this time to make new friends, explore new environments, try out a new look, and other things that’ll benefit your personal outlook on life.

3. Take a break from social media. Social media is the best and worst thing to happen to this generation. In a sense, though, everything you’re seeing isn’t even real! Free yourself from the “relationship goals” tweets. You have no idea what’s really going on behind the scenes of anyone else’s relationship. Social media has a funny way of encrypting our mind. Just leave it alone for a while and get back to the real world. You will find that special person in due time, or better yet, they’ll find you! For now, just focus on yourself.

4. Meditate Meditation can come in many forms. Take some time out of your day to relax and quiet your mind. Google “meditation methods” for some ideas of meditation. Understand that your form of meditation does not have to be what we usually see it portrayed as on television. Breathing exercises, prayer, journaling, and reading can all be a form of meditation. 

5. Fall in love with something. Constantly having a significant other in our lives can often distract us from what we love to do and things we can potentially fall in love with. Use this time alone to find or reunite with something you’re passionate about. You never know where it could get you.

6. Spend more time with family and friends. I know how bad you may want a significant other around but forget that for awhile. Spend more time with your family and good friends during this time of self-development. At this point of our lives, it can be rather difficult to find someone who’ll provide us with genuine emotional support like what we’ve experienced in our relationships with family and true friends. 

7. Take yourself out. Try not to worry about what people may think of you when they see you out alone. Who cares?! Go on a date with yourself. Treat yourself to a spa day, concert, movie, a trip to the beach, zoo, etc. You don’t have to have a companion to do any of these things. You deserve it! 

By doing all of these things, plus more, you will slowly start to relearn who you are and fall more in love with yourself. As good as it feels to cuddle, have a reliable companion, and feel loved by someone else, self-love is still essential. Don’t be reckless with your heart by constantly putting it in the hands of others. You are special and worthy of genuine love, so provide that kind of love for yourself before seeking it from another.

My name is Lexi Zàhra. I'm a 22 year old senior at the esteemed Clark Atlanta University where I major in Mass Media Arts with a concentration in radio, television, & film. My interests are in all things art, most importantly music, poetry, and literature. It's an honor to write for Her Campus CAU and I hope you enjoy my content.