Meet the Grapetes: Cásper Líbero’s Theater Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

For six years, future journalists, publicists, public relations and audiovisual producers have explored their acting talents under the direction of Mara Faustino, a professional in the industry. Meet the Grapetes: Cásper Líbero University’s drama club.

Every Saturday morning during the school year, students and alumni meet in Room 6 on the sixth floor. Together, they work on improving their acting skills as well as skills like teamwork and leadership.

2014’s Grapetes group reunited

Grapetes is named after “Bailei na curva,” the club’s first play. “Bailei na curva,” which means something like “Caught up in the bend,” was written by Julio Conte and discusses the Brazilian dictatorship in the ‘60s and transcends through the 20 years of political repression through the eyes of four children. In one of play’s the main scenes, a character asks for a Grapete, a type of grape soda no longer produced. Laughing at the eccentricity of such a peculiar thing, club members decided to call themselves “Grapetes”.

2015’s Grapetes group Saturday meeting

During the first term, Faustino counts on Assistant Director Fernanda Gonçalves for help. Then, in this phase freshmen to seniors and ex-students develop body and improvisation exercises. Communications students claim their ability to problem-solve, reason, think abstractly as well as their creativity and conceptualization and interpersonal skills improved exponentially. Further, Casperians bond between meetings and rehearsals and bring to light the biggest gain as a group member: “Grapetes” is a place to make friends.

Marcela Schiavon, a freshman in journalism, said the group was an opportunity to get to know people from other courses and periods in university besides her classmates. “As a freshman I didn’t know anyone here, and that was my first integration,” she said. “The ‘Grapetes’ are all amazing people, and on my birthday they were so receptive and attentive.”

She said this experience also helped her deal with criticism and other authors and text genres. “In the drama club we can learn playing (sic). However, we also get to manage our week schedule to have all lines memorized and costumes done. We cope with discipline and responsibility.”

Grapetes 2014 performance at Maria Della Costa Theater

Bruna Martins Nunes, a freshman in publicity, also added that “Grapetes” meetings are her favorite part of attending Cásper Líbero. As a future publicist and actress, she plays the main role in this year’s presentation. “Theater is one of my life passions, and the chance to take it among the studies at the university I attend is amazing,” she said. “It is all about passion and friendship.”

Although this is the second semester college’s round, the drama club has already started the rehearsing for the end-of-the-year performance, “Píramo e Tisbe,” by Vladimir Capella. The few next months will require a lot of hard work as the group is introduced to an epic plot, scenery and acting. Presentations will take place on November 25, 26 and 27 at Maria Della Costa Theater.

Interested in joining “Grapetes”? Meetings take place every Saturday and are worth complimentary hours. The group is also open to non-students.

Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.