Despicable Me 3 Review: Gru Is Back, And So Is His Twin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After waiting for four years to see Gru and his kids again, Despicable Me 3 is now on the cinemas!

This time, Gru discovers he has a twin and together, they will go on an adventure which will help them bond. Meanwhile, the minions are in another place doing their stuff all by themselves, getting into trouble – as always. The girls are also separated from the group, being left with Lucy who wants to make them to feel like she is their mother.

The villain in this movie is Balthazar Bratt, a guy from the 80’s who has some plans to take on the world. The cool thing about this character is that, because of him, the movie brings a lot of music from the 80’s. In fact, the whole time there’s a lot of music, singing and dancing. It’s a new concept that the directors tried to introduce this time, and honestly, I think it worked really well.

Now, if you watched all the movies and are a huge fan of all the characters, you may feel a little disappointed about some aspects. First of all, the minions, who were a huge success all over the word, didn’t appear much now. They have a few scenes but nothing huge. To be fair, they´re not even that funny anymore, having only two or three scenes that will make you laugh. The real responsible for the comic is Agnes –and her incredible cuteness – and  Gru and his twin. The jokes come in all different ways: visually, verbally and sometimes hidden, that kids probably won’t notice but the adults will, and they will like it.

To be honest, I felt like the other characters were kind of forgotten on the movie. Besides of the minions, Margô and Edith almost didn’t show up, for example. That made me feel weird because I actually enjoyed them a lot as a funny family, being together and having those cute scenes when they were all going after Gru, for example, like in the last movie.

But despite all that, I still recommend to go watch it. The movie is short, only 1h36, and it will make you laugh  – not as much as the others, but still -, even if you’re not a kid anymore. In fact, for what I saw on the theater, the kids loved the movie and laughed a lot. So, even though it’s not the best one, it’s worthy to go watch it because it’s cute and nice. And if you’re an adult and are ashamed to go it watch alone, how about take your kid friends to see it?

Movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uApRZVgOvxc

My name is Giulia, I'm 18 and I live in São Paulo, Brazil. When I have a free time, I like to write, read and watch series.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.