I Don’t Like Coffee And Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

It’s 7a.m., and after a long night of thesis work, you peel yourself from your dorm bed and manage to trudge your way to the campus Starbucks. The smell of coffee wafts through the air as you enter the building. Coffee, its tantalizing aroma, draws you in. As you wait in line, you look around and see the throngs of students and professors that need a sip of some caffeinated liquid before they start their day. 

The caffeinated life has never been the life for me. Growing up, my mom always made a point to only allow us to drink non-caffeinated beverages; whether it was lemonade, juice or 7-Up. And with that, we were only allowed to drink soda if we had pizza or were at a party. As an adult, my childhood habits have stuck with me. I still tend to shy away from Pepsi and Coca-Cola, and of course, the “liquid gold” that fuels millions of Americans, coffee.

Let’s be clear, my aversion to coffee isn’t just from my raising. Yes, I didn’t grow up sipping on cappuccinos and lattes, but science has also taught me some important things about coffee and caffeine. It’s well known that coffee gives you a kick of caffeine to jumpstart your day, but did you know that if you drink coffee every day, your body builds up a tolerance to the caffeine? Eventually, your body becomes accustomed to the addition of caffeine and drinking a cup every morning won’t make you feel any different.

My next con to coffee is its effects on sleep deprivation. Most people drink coffee in the morning, but it still can affect the quality of your sleep. The addition of caffeine stimulates your senses. However, the caffeine eventually wears off, often leaving you feeling tired. This tiredness may prompt more coffee intake or lead you to take a nap, which will both mess up your sleep schedule.

Besides scientific facts, there are two other, extremely obvious reasons: Coffee is expensive, even if you don’t drink designer lattes or cold brew. Starbucks coffees can range anywhere from $2 and up, depending on your personal preferences, and per pound, most coffee beans found in stores range from $2-$15. Over the year, these costs add up; money that could be spent on a trip, new purse or the newest iPhone. Beyond financial burdens, coffee also has physical side effects. Coffee stains teeth and leaves the drinker with “coffee breath”. Heart palpitations, heartburn, ulcers and frequent bathroom trips are also linked to excessive coffee consumption. Additionally, drinking coffee has been linked to anxiety. In some individuals, drinking coffee can leave the person feeling more anxious, due to an increased level of adrenaline.

Coffee drinkers need not be offended, I do enjoy an occasional scoop of coffee ice cream or a piece of coffee-infused chocolate. However, a warm cup of liquid energy isn’t my ideal way to start the day. So, if you’re looking for an alternative to switch up your coffee routine, try getting a hot chocolate or iced tea instead.

Meredyth is a senior at Carthage College majoring in Biology. She is from Pleasant Prairie, Wiscosin, which makes her morning commute a short 15 minutes. When she's not working in the lab on zebrafish and bacteria, Meredyth can be found spending time with her friends, reading mystery novels, or taking pictures for her Instagram.