Amanda Goecke: Carthage’s Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carthage chapter.

After our launch, we here at Her Campus Carthage have been doing our best to produce the best content possible and truth be told, as busy collegiettes, that’s not always easy. Luckily, we have the best boss: Amanda! This woman guides us through thick and thin, helps us come up with ideas, works with us from pitch to launch, and somehow manages to balance two majors and sports. But, who exactly is she? Why did she decide to do this in the first place? We sat down with her to get just a glimpse into the life of our super busy (and super amazing) Editor-In-Chief.

Photo courtesy of Amanda Goecke

HC: Let’s start off easy. What’s your major?

AG: I double major in communications and public relations!

HC: So, what exactly is your role in the Her Campus Carthage chapter?

AG: My official title in the HC Carthage chapter is “Campus Correspondent.” Essentially an Editor-in-Chief position, my job is to ensure that our organization is running smoothly, everyone is on the same page, and that we’re uploading enough content and posting on social media. In between assigning articles and making final edits, I also make sure we’re producing quality content that’s relevant to our campus! And, when I’m not spamming everyone’s inboxes, I’m corresponding with our wonderful E-Board to ensure our team is the best it can possibly be! I’ve been amazed by the ideas the team comes up with. It’s so exciting to be a part of everyone’s journey.

HC: Aside from working with HC, how else are you involved on campus?

AG: I’m an athlete on Carthage’s women’s cross country team and track & field team. I’m also a member of Lambda Pi Eta, the communications honors society.

Photo courtesy of Amanda Goecke 

HC: How did you first come across HC?

AG: I first came across Her Campus when I was in high school! I was so attracted to the site and what Her Campus stands for. It felt like a place where I could learn how to be a responsible young woman who is well-informed. It was during my junior year at Carthage that I decided to apply as a National writer, and I earned a spot as a National Feature Writer last fall! Now, I still write feature articles and news and entertainment blogs alongside my work with Her Campus Carthage.

HC: What made you want to work with HC in the first place?

AG: I decided to work with Her Campus because, after following their social media pages for a few years, I finally decided to take the plunge and see if I had what it takes. The topics written about on the site are very fun, informative and empowering, and I wanted to be a part of that. Not to mention that it’s an incredible experience to list on your résumé! Now, after a year working with Her Campus, I definitely feel as if I’m beginning to find myself as a writer.

HC: Why did you decide to bring HC to Carthage?

AG: I decided to bring Her Campus to Carthage simply because I wanted my peers to feel the same enjoyment I feel when I write for this publication. I’ve had such a blast that it got to the point where I wanted nothing more than to share the experience with whoever I could. I feel that everyone should be able to showcase their talents and passions and feel a part of something special!

Photo courtesy of Amanda Goecke

HC: What do you hope will happen with HC Carthage after you graduate?

AG: I want nothing more than to see HC Carthage thrive. Since we’re such a new group, I want to leave the team knowing that the wonderful girls on this team will continue to recruit and grow and form bonds that go beyond just team members. I hope to see articles written that amplify the voices of women (and men!) at Carthage and guide our campus through these college years as well as the outside world. I want to see HC Carthage fundraise for charities and collaborate with other organizations on campus to create wonderful events. Ultimately, I just want to see our team continue to make a positive impact!

HC: Aww, thanks! Now, last question: If you could be any animal in the world, what would it be and why?

AG: Oh, dachshund. Hands down. I just want to nap, get belly rubs and eat treats all day. I feel like everyone resembles some type of dog, in both appearance and personality, and I definitely feel that I was meant to be a weenie dog. I’m very short, and so are they!

So, dear reader, I hope this article gives you a better insight into who we are here at Her Campus Carthage and who exactly this woman is who makes our ship run. Keep an eye out for new content and be sure to like us on Facebook!

Rep image courtesy of Amanda Goecke

Jane Eckles

Carthage '19

Jane graduated from Carthage College in May 2019 with a degree in English and Secondary Education. She is from Merced, California, which is close enough to San Fransisco for her to confirm that the City by the Bay is her absolute favorite. When she's not teaching or writing articles, she can be found collecting any book she can get her hands on, watching Netflix, staring mindlessly into the void, or napping.