Study Playlists for the Stressed: Get Motivated!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Go ahead and call reading this procrastination. ‘Cuz ironically, it’ll lead to stimulating your productivity, increasing your focus, and sparking the inner essay goddess that you are. Yes, there is a valid reason Carleton implemented the October reading week, my fellow classmates. You need a break. You deserve it after working so damn hard on your group presentations, or in your labs, or on that twelve page essay. Don’t panic just yet: I’ve collected various playlists from 8tracks.com that I’ve kept in mind that have made all the difference when I was stressed, discouraged, or unmotivated.

Whether you have writer’s block, can’t seem to concentrate, or are too stressed to know where to even start, this one’s for you. The first step to successful studying is acknowledging your level of stress or feelings of hopelessness and then telling the negative committee that meets inside your head to sit down and shut up. You’ve got studying to do. Those moments I know I’m truly stressed are when I look at the growing pile of readings I still have to finish, and decide to take a long nap instead of doing them. Who knows, maybe my worries will flutter away in my dreams, and when I wake up all my essays will be written…………

Wake up and get motivated by these wonderful playlists organized by specific genres that you like to study to: 

1.   INSTRUMENTAL / CALM / SOUNDTRACK

Hans Zimmer and Howard Shore, need I say more? These incredible composers will have you so motivated that you’ll probably have enough time to finish your project AND climb Mount Doom in Mordor. Or perhaps you’re more of a swish-and-flick type of gal, ready to tackle this paper with the wits and wand of Hermione Granger. (I’m too much, I know.)

2. FOLK / INDIE / CHILL

These playlists are more for those who study better with lyrics or soft beats in the background – Very popular mixes that are full of positive energy, they includes remixed indie and folk songs that are best listened to with a good pair of headphones.

3. CLASSICAL / INSTRUMENTAL / CALM

Pieced together by scores from soundtracks like Narnia and Game of Thrones, to piano pieces by Alexandre Desplat, Pan’s Labyrinth and more, these hour-and-a-half playlists will sooth the soul and allow you to relax so you can study harder, longer, and creatively. They also serve as a singing reminder to stay calm, happy, and to forget the rest.

4. INSTRUMENTAL / POP / PUNK

Say what now? Someone has put together a playlist of your favourite high school classic pop/punk songs and covered them by piano. Paramore, Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy to Jimmy Eat World… oh my chemical romance this is just too good (I tried too hard for a pun there).

5. CLASSICAL / MOTIVATION / SOUNDTRACK

Now you really want to conquer those midterms? Listen to this mix for some real, inspirational talk to begin with and scores to finish it off. This one is my go-to. There’s just something about listening to a Transformers track that makes you know you won’t fail. To top it all off, we have the enchanting orchestra from LOTR. Because a study playlist isn’t complete without Frodo and the gang (or is it just me?).

6. AMBIENT / CHILLWAVE / ELECTRONIC

These tracks may have you floating in a cloud while creating your work of art. With serene and uplifting songs, only positive vibes will flow into your project. Enjoy. 

7. NATURE / CONCENTRATION / RELAX

Study best in the outdoors? This one’s for you. Transport yourself into  nature with the birds and the trees and let your concentration fill you up until all 12 pages of your essay are done and floating down the river. There’s nothing like the calmness of the forest to help motivate you to focus. Unless there’s a woody-wood pecker out there.

So put away those devices and close the browsers that stifle productivity and take your behind to your favourite study spot: your room, the library, the glorious River building, anywhere relatively quiet and not distracting. Organize and prioritize your assignments based on level of importance (percentage wise) and due date. Set aside the time, even if it means sacrificing your Friday night – there are many Fridays to come – this project/essay/midterm is only due once, and could make or break your GPA. Make it count! 

Deep breaths, namaste & good luck collegiate.

Picture sources:http://giphy.com/gifs/applause-harry-potter-clapping-9pWXDLSSfno8Uhttp:/…

Elizabeth is a fourth year Communications major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. In addition to her editor and writer positions at Her Campus Carleton, she enjoys volunteering at Rogers Television studio as a Producer’s Assistant and Floor Director for Daytime Ottawa. she enjoys her weekly soccer games and gym time which keeps her fit as a fiddle and out of trouble. Elizabeth is fond of silver linings and a true believer in the Law of Attraction, and is a lucid dreamer with the hope to enlighten your minds with her writing.