Model for a Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Have you ever watched a Victoria’s Secret fashion show and wished you were one of the angels?  Or flipped through Vogue and imagined being in the magazine?  It is quite a few girls’ dreams to be a model, myself included.   And yet there are often rumours about how models are miserable and anorexic. This can make a girl wonder if this dream should actually be pursued.

On Saturday January 25th, I had the opportunity to be a model for The University of Ottawa’s HerCampus Fashion Show.  I cannot speak for all models, but from my experience I will share insight on what it is like to be a model for the day and why I recommend jumping at the chance to be one.

I myself had never really aspired to be on the runway.  All models look so angry and generally wear clothes that everyday people would not be caught dead in.  Their hair tends to be all messy and their makeup even seems ghostly.  They are not the beauty icons women aspire to be half of the time. 

This charity runway was nothing like the stereotype.  We had our hair and makeup done professionally and the makeup especially looked flawless.  I felt like a new person.  The clothes we got to wear were really nice and things I would wear on a regular basis.  Walking down the runway finally gave me the confidence to wear heels. I actually caught myself doing “the stoic look”, as it seemed more serious and fitting for the mood.  It was exhilarating walking down the runway with everyone’s eyes on me and the media at the end of the runway capturing my every angle with their cameras.

Before the show, we met with the designers so that we could try on the clothes.  It sounded so fun and exciting but in reality was actually a lot of waiting around.  We did not get to choose which outfits we wore and one may often feel like an “item” as the designers decide which person will wear their clothing.  However, this was a small price to pay for the amazing opportunity of strutting that outfit down the runway as none of the designs were hideous.

A model must be comfortable changing in front of others.  This was a new experience for me!  Between designers we had to change into our next outfit very quickly and since the backstage was just a big open room we had no choice but to change in front of the other models.  Girls and guys included.

Being in the fashion show was one of the best experiences of my life.  Not only did I get a taste of the limelight but I made so many friends.  We all just met and already became so close, spending the whole day together and bonding on the fact that we were all modelling in the show.  Every experience is different, so I cannot speak on behalf of other models but I personally would do it again in a heartbeat.  If you ever get the chance, I suggest you jump on it.