Getting on the Right Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

From year to year, Ottawa’s Rideau Canal continues to surprise me with its capacity to entertain all walks of life. Each season attracts the young and the old to its seemingly endless pathways, but what makes it so special is the canal’s ability to lead you home at the end of your adventures.

image source: http://www.canajun.com/ottawa/…

When I first arrived to Ottawa almost four years ago it became evident that the canal was central to Ottawa’s identity. My father and I drove around Ottawa, exploring the various areas until we discovered a road tightly hugging the Ottawa canal, which was lit by a warm stream of glowing bubble lights.  We were able to take the canal all the way up to Carleton, feeling as though we had been guided there by it.

Moving to a new city can be quite daunting, however as a first year student I was eager to explore the great capital region. Having come to Ottawa from a small farming community, the bus was not a familiar option. Instead I walked to the canal and let it led me around Ottawa. And just like a lost puppy I let it led me back to Carleton campus every time.

During the summer, bikers whiz past on their way to Gatineau park; while kayakers paddle along the water next to the ducks. The running culture on the canal is like no other; it’s the perfect place to go out for a quick jog without interruption. Runners nod or wave to each other with encouragement as they work towards their end goal. Whether it is the Ottawa Race Weekend in May, the Army Run in September, or just to clear one’s head, each runner has a purpose. Last May as I ran the 10 km race along the canal, I felt a wonderful sense of familiarity and knew the path always led me in the right direction. And at that moment I knew I was on the right path. The canal continues to inspire me to take the right path in life, not only on my runs but also with each obstacle I face.

In the winter months the city of Ottawa maintains the canal to ensure that tourists can skate up and down the long stretches of ice that once were paddled along by those kayakers. The canal becomes a winter wonderland covered in pretty lights and ready to serve up beaver tails and hot chocolate to all those who dare to brave the Ottawa winter.

If you have just arrived in Ottawa this year, and still haven’t had the chance to wander, run, bike or skate along the canal you are surely missing out. If there is one thing that I can take away from my runs along the canal, it is to not let the seasons deter you. Spring, summer, fall or winter, grab a pal and get on the right path to exploring this beautiful city.

Maddy Porter