Discovering your True Hues: Knowing your Seasonal Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Whenever I go shopping with friends, they are always amazed at how speedy I am when it comes to finding cute outfits. Some of my girls have joked that I have a secret shopping skill, and in a way I suppose that’s true. I just know what colors look good on me, and which ones don’t. However, my trick is hardly a special talent, and today I’m unveiling my secret: I found my seasonal colors!

Sounds strange right? Considering the concept of the “seasons” has become some sort of a myth to the majority of our generation, I decided to enlighten you Collegiettes on the topic! As you ladies know, every girl has those colors that she avoids wearing like the plague. But each of us also have a special set of colors that have the ability to bring us to life and help us radiate beauty, and discovering them begins with decoding your seasonal colors! Interested in finding out more? Then keep reading ladies!

The Test
First thing’s first, you have to do a little test to find your true colors. Follow these easy steps!

Step 1: The Big Questions
To begin your search for your seasonal colors, take this quick quiz!

Step 2: Determining your Skin Tone
To verify that your result is the right season, wash off all your makeup, and throw on a white shirt. If your hair is colored, wrap it in a white towel. Then, head to the mirror, and make sure you have plenty of natural daylight, because you must evaluate your skin tone. Check out the coloring of your wrist and compare it to a piece of white paper; If you have a cool blue undertone, the chances are that you either belong to the winter or summer regimes. However, if it is more of a golden undertone, you are most likely a spring or an autumn.

[pagebreak]

Step 3: Finding yourself in a Season
If you still aren’t sure of which seasonal category you belong to, read the following descriptions of each season to see which one you belong to.

The Winter Ice Queen

-A blue-pink undertone.
 -Taupe-beige skin; olive skin; black skin; or milky white skin.
-Light brown to dark charcoal brown hair.
-Red brown eyes; black-brown eyes; hazel eyes; gray-blue; eyes; grey-green eyes or dark blue eyes

The Summer Sunshine Goddess

-A blue undertone.
-Very fair, somewhat translucent skin; or very pink skin.
-Ash blonde to dark ash blonde hair. Occasionally, hair has the tendency to go auburn in the sun.
-Blue eyes; green eyes; aqua; or soft hazel eyes

The Sensational Fall Woman

-Golden Undertone (almost orange).
-Ivory or creamy peach skin or golden-beige skin. Generally has freckles.
-Golden blonde; redhead; or golden brown hair.  
-Topaz brown or green eyes, with golden and brown flecks.

The Springtime Princess

-Creamy ivory skin; peachy pink skin, or preachy beige skin. May have freckles.
-Golden blonde hair; strawberry blonde hair, taffy-red hair or golden brown hair.
-Blue eyes, green eyes; or aqua eyes.

[pagebreak] 

Step 4: Knowing your Colors
Now that you know your season, it is time to find out which colors are the best for you, and which ones you should be avoiding!

Winter
The cool girl looks best in: pure white, grey beige, “true greys” (especially charcoal!), black, navy, royal blue, icy blue, hot turquoise, Chinese blue, icy aqua, light true green, emerald green and icy green, hot pink, magenta, fushia, icy pink, baby pink, true red, blue-reds, lemon yellow, royal purple,and icy violet.

Winter ladies should also be avoiding: oranges, gold, yellow-green, rust, peach, browns and beiges.

Summer
The sexy summer chica should stick to: soft white, rose-beige, blue-gray, cocoa, grayed navy, denim, sky blue, periwinkle blue, powder blue, pastel aqua, blue-green, pastel pink, deep rose, watermelon red, raspberry, burgundy, light lemon yellow, plum, and lavender.

Her kryptonite colors include: black, pure white, yellow-beige, gold, orange and most yellows.

Autumn
A Fierce, fall female can always pull off: oyster white, most beiges, most browns and tans, teal blue, turquoise, yellow greens, lime to bright green, earthy greens, all oranges, orange-reds, and gold.
Autumn honeys must be sure to avoid sporting the following colors: black, pink, navy, grey, all colors with blue undertones, and anything too pale!

Spring
Fresh spring colors include: ivory, creamy beiges, light grey, golden brown, light navy, periwinkle blues, aqua, pastel greens, light orange, coral, peachy pink and bright golden yellow.

The colors that a spring girl should stay away from are: black, pure white, colors with blue undertones and any dark or muted colors.

Now that you know your seasonal colors, it’s time to hit the mall and get started on your summer shopping. I promise that having this invaluable information will save you some time in the change room!

Image Sources:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTXhV2nLo17pdDDr-K4LQESa_8KQER0…
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzogpe4hWw1r9k8e5o1_500.png
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luexuefDxb1r3sm6co1_500.jpg
http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/coral-pink-on-t…

Information Sources:
http://www.collegefashion.net/trends/quiz-what-spring-2012-color-should-…
Carole, Jackson.  Color Me Beautiful: 4 Seasons of Color, Makeup, and Style. New York: Ballantine Books, 1987.

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.