Alvaro Masegosa ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Alvaro Masegosa

Program: 4th year Communication StudiesHometown: Madrid, Spain

1. What is one thing Ottawa has that you can’t compare to your hometown, Spain?

It may seem kind of broad but I love the people of Ottawa. Ottawa is a city but everyone has a “town” mentality…its a simple, easy place to live where people are always willing to help. In a sense it’s more of a community where as bigger cities seem a lot more to themselves.

2. When do you think you “grew up”?

I didn’t really mature until later in life, probably 3rd year of university was when I kind of started having a different outlook on life and my priorities.

3. On a rainy day, what’s your go-to plan and why?

I am a big fan of anything creative. So rainy days are kind of an escape for me. I have no problem in setting up my creative cave (my room) and diving into some sort of art: painting, designing, writing or even trying to produce music. Although, I am no expert, there is a certain high I get from creating something from nothing; turning your thoughts and ideas into original art.

4. What do you think is the most attractive quality in a girl?

Usually it’s the unexpected things that get me. However, with that being said, I find it attractive when girls are laid back and easy going, it gives off a vibe of confidence.

5. What is something about a girl that caught your attention that you normally would not have thought to like?

Someone who finds inspiration in the little things! It’s important that people have hobbies. It gets your partner or friends excited about learning different things and trying out new things. You never know what may come of them.

6. What is something that guys do that you think they should do less of? Or more of (in terms of life, girls/love)?

Not to say that chivalry is dead but I think that it’s important that girls and women in society receive the upmost respect, after all women are our mothers. As guys, we should take care of our women (not saying that they cant take care of themselves) but I can’t stand it when I see guys disrespecting women in bars or at clubs or anywhere for that matter!

7. Most embarrassing moment?

I have a lot to choose from but this one is probably the worst. In 6th grade I was leading the class for our warm up stretches.  On one of the stretches I had to sit on the ground and raise my legs up into the air. To my surprise, my loose gym shorts and boxers rolled up my leg and left my whole private area was exposed to the whole class. It was the worst. The girls never let me forget it!

8. What advice would you give yourself 5 years ago?

In high school, I was popular but for all the wrong reasons: drinking, smoking, girls, partying – all that came before school. Knowledge is much more sexy and it will take you a lot further in life.

9. What would you consider to be your biggest pet peeve and biggest guilty pleasure?

Biggest pet peeve would probably have to be when people don’t turn the volume off their keyboard while texting, that drives me crazy! I don’t know if it really counts as a guilty pleasure but I sometimes tend to sing about the things that I am doing…while I do them…

10. Favourite quote and why?

An African proverb states, “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”. I love it because it’s simple and true. It also plays off the quote “happiness is only real when shared.” My ultimate goal in life is to make my loved ones and the people around me happy and successful in whatever they want to do and if we can do it together than that’s even better.

A writer who lives for waffles, travelling and mostly in the moment. I think being able to captivate someone with your intelligence is raw and genuine. Read away my fellow friends, and anytime you can write, do write - they're always valid.