Why You Should Love ‘The Mindy Project’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Mindy Lahiri is far from your typical OB/GYN (obstetrics and gynaecology) doctor. With her love of designer clothing, interest in all the latest pop culture and remarkable Justin Bieber knowledge, she sets herself apart from the stereotypical qualities associated with doctors. Often petty and rash in her decisions, her character is thoroughly entertaining to watch in the show “The Mindy Project,” as her audience gets to witness the countless awkward and sometimes painful-to-watch situations she ropes herself into.

The show takes place at an OB/GYN office in New York, where Mindy works as a young, bright and energetic doctor in practice. The first episode begins with her “claim to fame” as an intern, and continues until she reaches the position of a doctor. Though the show focuses less on the actual work of the doctors, the storyline is never dull, as it includes all the juiciest details of the personal lives of the shows’ characters.

There are so many reasons I’m obsessed with this show. The first is the incredibly quirky cast. The most important characters include Dr. Jeremy Reed (“McSteamy” of the show), a fellow doctor with a British accent, who popular with the women in the office. There’s also Morgan, the hilariously weird male nurse, who attempts — and often miserably fails — to fit in with the others. Last but not least is Danny Castellano, the practical and polar opposite of Mindy, who is always by her side in times of crisis. The cast is brilliantly put together, with each character adding a different comedic element to the show. With the help of the ingenious writers, these actors never fail to make me laugh out loud (and yes, I have received strange looks from my roommates as I crack up from atop my dorm bunk bed).

I’ve watched the show from the beginning and consider myself to be a fan of Mindy Kaling (the real Mindy) since her start of acting on the hilarious documentary-style comedy “The Office.” She first came onto the show as a writer, the only woman out of eight, and then continued on to join the cast. On “The Office,” Mindy played Kelly, the gossipy and somewhat trivial employee. After her leave of the show, she went on to write and play the main character in “The Mindy Project.”

Though she does sometimes act petty on the show, Mindy’s character is a force to be reckoned with. Surrounded by male associates who often (jokingly) demean her, her confidence, smarts and quick thinking make her an essential part of her crew. As a female college student and avid watcher of many TV shows, it’s refreshing to see a strong female lead who dominates her playing field (both in and out of character).

So if you’re bored, looking for a new show and in need of a few laughs, go on Hulu and watch some of the “Mindy Project.” Trust me, you won’t regret it. And once Mindy Kaling is also your idol, hit me up and we can fangirl together.

Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.